Lava rocks for Apistogramma tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheCommunityCichlid

Aquarium Advice Addict
Brookster nice tank, new thread on its inhabitants? As for rock check all your landscaping places. Got my lava rock for $.25 a pound

Brookster nice tank, new thread on its inhabitants? As for rock check all your landscaping places. Got my lava rock for $.25 a pound
thanks ! I have a thread going "new apisto rescape", no good pics yet, didn't see them this morning.. I was thinking if adding some maple leaves or almond perhaps??? Will lava rock jack up ph??

In my tanks it does, I use some flat smooth rock in my apistogramma tanks. Called poor mans blue something or another lol

In my tanks it does, I use some flat smooth rock in my apistogramma tanks. Called poor mans blue something or another lol
I can't use anything that will raise ph, I have the ground guys on constant look out for "cool rocks".. Free is good!

Yep, the article talks about that. Tufa rock is not inert, but pumice rock (what we call lava rock) is.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Yep, the article talks about that. Tufa rock is not inert, but pumice rock (what we call lava rock) is. Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk
so basically anything we see in an Lfs for lava rock will be the pumice and therefore inert?

My lava is defintily not inert. My tap is about 7.2 and my tanks with pool filter sand, lava rock are pushing 8.2. The rock I have came from huge boulders and you could see mineral streaks in it when i broke them down. I thought it didn't, but i tested my pH in the 36 after adding it and jumped way up.

There are many different things in particular volcanos that can effect ph, most dont but some will. Best to check is with a bucket test.

Fill a bucket with water you know the ph for and leave for a day or 2 then recheck the ph.

Some natural pumice can explode during boiling because of trapped steam inside of pores. so be careful if you boil before adding to your tank.

Since this is a new thread, i do not use lava rock in apistogramma tanks or would I recommend it. Your much better off with slate or other smooth flat rocks inert rocks

Most of the lava rock you'll find is inert. I don't use it just because it's not really my aesthetic; however, you could if you wanted to. I like the lace rock I have because it is inert and the different shapes lend themselves to easy stacking for caves. My cheapest option is river rock from the landscaping store, but the smooth rounded river rocks are more difficult to stack.

I like petrified wood! Speaking if which.. Would that lower ph similar to driftwood?? Or it's technically inert fossil so no??

No, petrified wood is generally inert. I've used that too, lol. You can find some really pretty pieces.

Yah! It's great.. It's surprisingly cheap at my Lfs (I think anyways) $3/lb?? My brother was just in Arizona and said he saw some big pieces going for thousands..

We don't really have that around here either. Our LFSs are mostly salt only, and we have lots of chain stores that all pretty much sell the same stuff.

Back
Top Bottom