lettuce & snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

asboss

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have just rolled a stone with some lettuce to attract snails, i have turned the light off and will leave till morning.
Is this ok and could the lettuc harm the fish??

Yeah that will be fine! More than a couple days would be a little gross, but one day is okay. Your fish might nibble the lettuce too!

Thanks for yor prompt reply, will change it daily for fresh lettuce.

asboss said:
Thanks for yor prompt reply, will change it daily for fresh lettuce.

Old lettuce might actually help. I think my snails like it mushy. But try it. Dont go more than 2 days i think, but 2ish is fine. No harmful effects even it's more than 2 days anyway. Lettuce just looks kinds icky after a while

Ha!! You just make life easier, thank you
I will see how i get on and post back ;-)

I have just rolled a stone with some lettuce

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by this. If you just place a large lettuce leaf completely open on the substrate, the snails will congregate in it by morning. You can then just lift out the piece of lettuce and toss it. If you've literally rolled up a stone inside a piece of lettuce, I'm not sure how you're going to be able to grab all the snails in the a.m.

The lettuce wouldn't sink so i put a small stone in the middle of a folded leaf fastened to a pice of thread so i can pull it out and throw it.

asboss said:
The lettuce wouldn't sink so i put a small stone in the middle of a folded leaf fastened to a pice of thread so i can pull it out and throw it.

Whatever works. The snails will get on any piece theycan find. More surface area is more efficient but i dont personally care lol! I did the exact same thing last night. Good luck!

Didn't want your hand touching the snails, huh? :lol:

I never would've thought about the string. I've never had to do this task, though. I've only lived vicariously through people with snail issues. :brows:

No Lyndab,

i have a fluval edge and access isn't the best, to put my hand in i would have to take some water out which is a pain.
Snails dont bother me at all LOL honest

How do you like the edge? I've heard both good and bad, the bad mostly having to do with lack of access.

LyndaB, I love the edge tank, access can be a pain but fluval make tools which work well. If you need to put your hand in then you have to takesome water out. Cleaning is fine andif anything need moving its done on my weekly 25%water changes. The snails came from a plant and are breeding lkie mad!!

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20111116_193655.jpg
    ForumRunner_20111116_193655.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 172
  • ForumRunner_20111116_193742.jpg
    ForumRunner_20111116_193742.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 99

Stuff the lettuce into a dip net and place in a corner of the tank. In the morning lift the net out and dump the lettuce and snails. Rinse & repeat. ;)

Great idea, will give it a go tomorrow. Thanks for the tip ;-)

Stuff the lettuce into a dip net and place in a corner of the tank. In the morning lift the net out and dump the lettuce and snails. Rinse & repeat. ;)
OK..absolutely the easiest idea for a snail trap I've ever heard of. I love it! I've always had a problem with a zillion of them falling off the lettuce on the way up if I just put it in the tank loose, which this will completely resolve. So simple..yet..so amazing. Thank you sumpnfishy!! :)

OK..absolutely the easiest idea for a snail trap I've ever heard of. I love it! I've always had a problem with a zillion of them falling off the lettuce on the way up if I just put it in the tank loose, which this will completely resolve. So simple..yet..so amazing. Thank you sumpnfishy!! :)

You're Welcome. Snails are not that smart, supposedly we are... :rolleyes:

GodFan said:
What about lighting in the edge?

Hi, the stock lighting was so hot that it raised the temp in the tank by 2 degrees it also gave a yellow colour. I bought the LED bulbs and they dont get hot and are brolliant white, so defo go fot LED upgrade!!

Ok its official!!!!!

My snails dont like lettuce , one tiny fella. Will leave in till tomoz

Back
Top Bottom