LFS knowledge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishRus

Aquarium Advice Freak
Is it just me or does it seem like most but not all LFS employees don't know what there talking about? At my LFS I only go to one individual because I feel she is the most knowledgeable. I just moved out to CO and was looking for a close store to restart my tank so I've been to several and it seems a lot of them are a bit clueless when I ask them or give me false information.

Am I only one who thinks that LFS employees aren't the greatest when it comes to asking questions about anything lol

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Is it just me or does it seem like most but not all LFS employees don't know what there talking about? At my LFS I only go to one individual because I feel she is the most knowledgeable. I just moved out to CO and was looking for a close store to restart my tank so I've been to several and it seems a lot of them are a bit clueless when I ask them or give me false information.

Am I only one who thinks that LFS employees aren't the greatest when it comes to asking questions about anything lol

Depends on your LFS. There are 2 privately owned ones in my area that are fantastic for information - generally. Petsmart on the other hand, don't even bother.

Same with my area. I pick and choose who I ask any questions because some of them clearly never kept fish before.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Same with my area. I pick and choose who I ask any questions because some of them clearly never kept fish before.

The fun thing is asking questions you know the answer to to see if the LFS does :D

I have 2 privately owned stores that I use. One has great knowledge of stock and supplies, the other has been having problems keeping steady employees so they are hit and miss. The good thing is they both buy from good suppliers so the fish are usually healthy.

I'm sure it was someone on this forum who 'stole' a sample of water from their LFS and tested it.

It turned out to be absolutely awful and when he showed it to the LFS they told him that it would be cruel to house fish in that water ?

It's amazing.. The nightmare stories of people getting misinformed off of their LFS.. You'd think they'd try and change things up..

PERHAPS HIRE ME, EH DOBBIES?!

It honestly just blows my mind on how little they can know about this hobby. I envy anyone who has a knowledgable LFS. I'm already going to have to drive 20 min to a decent LFS and really don't want to go any farther...

The fun thing is asking questions you know the answer to to see if the LFS does :D

Hahaha I was going to mention that in my initial post. I've done that multiple times and I also do that for just about anything else I buy. I can't help it ha

I've tested water from my LFS when I buy fish. Nitrates are through the roof. It's just a matter of spending time observing the fish in the shop and choosing wisely.

I do have to add that just Thursday I encounter a new young person working at one of the independent LFS in my area. Come to find out he breeds bettas and dart frogs. He knew what fish they carried and what tanks they were in. It was a refreshing change but most of the time I have to go with my other comment. I didn't get to post my whole thought I was sitting in the immediate care waiting room. Fun times.

If you look at my thread, you can post questions and answers, sometimes its just mindboggling:eek2::banghead:

In today's situation, you may need to go further to find good shops to deal with. I think the "dumbing down" of LFS employees has a lot to do with the decline of privately owned shops. In order for some of those still in business to compete with the chain stores now, they need to hire cheap help which does not always mean knowledgeable help. :( There ARE still some good stores out there. You just have to keep looking.

The best you can do, as previously posted, is do the "knowledge test" to anyone who wants to help you. If they don't know what you know, move on to the next person. ;) (y)

It's a sad state the hobby is in but that's what we get for buying at cheaper prices and not supporting those who were "in the know." This is the fallout. :(

That's my take on the subject. (y)

There have been a few times that I have asked employees at Petco/Petsmart questions and their answers make me laugh. It is true, they aren't very educated.When I first started getting into the hobby I purchased a few guppies from a chain store. The employee netted one fish out, held it out to me in the air, and asked me if that one was OK. I said sure but maybe you should put the fish back in the water! *shakes head*

I am lucky to have a very knowledgeable, privately owned store only 10 minutes from me. That is the only store I do business with now. I'd say if you don't have a trustworthy store near you, try purchasing online and do a lot of independent research.

My LFS has Oscars labelled as reaching 2/3".

I almost drew over it myself...

Why is that fun I just don't get it? Does it make you feel superior?

Absolutely! I go there in my thick rimmed glasses, pocket protector in my shirt, and grill them for information. When they answer a single question wrong I reply in a nasaly voice "ahuehuehue I can't believe you actually sell fish!"

I've been lucky I guess? The Petsmart around me has been pretty good on keeping people who actually know their stuff handling the fish. First time I went there to get fish (after a horrible experience at a Petland and was starting to feel uneasy with chain stores) the guy basically interrogated me before I got a chance to 'test the waters'.

If he was talking to anyone else, say a parent who just wanted a seemingly simple goldfish for their child, I'm pretty sure they wouldn't have stuck around long much less buy anything.

Anyway, it really depends. I have a couple small 'privately owned' stores around as well that I will go check out now and then - they are just a further drive and their stock doesn't seem much better than the ones at my Petsmart. One of them had a nasty case of ich and the guy still tried to sell me fish from the same tank.

So...TL;DR don't assume a small shop will have better stuff. Go to every option yourself and have an actual conversation with the employees there. Even if they turn out to be ignorant of their own stock, you will only be doing everyone (including the fish!) a favour by sharing your own knowledge instead of sticking your nose up at them.

Why is that fun I just don't get it? Does it make you feel superior?
There is another take on this. Using the example I do frequently, ( I overheard a sale's clerk telling a new hobbyist that good first fish for their 10 gal tank was some neons, Guppies and a small Oscar) I discretely spoke with both the new hobbyist( who thankfully didn't get any fish that day) and got the clerk to the side and explained her error. The clerk said she appreciated my information and was going back to studying the guide books she was given by the store as she was still very new to fish keeping as well as new to the store.
To me, the fun part is teaching people about proper fish keeping ( as I know it) and my experiences doing it. No superiority issue at play, just sharing the knowledge. (y)

I couldn't agree more with all of you. I was just a little frustrated with a couple of my LFS in the area with there lack of knowledge. Like with any job IMO you should know what your talking about or find a different job.

Back
Top Bottom