Licoln logs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mike921

Aquarium Advice Regular
Idk if anyone's every tried them or not but I was wondering if Lincoln logs are safe to have in a fish tanks?

I was thinking that too I figured I'd use silicon to hold the structure together and maybe some kinda rock base to was it down thought it'd be a cool idea for my 33 gallon I picked up at a yard sale this past weekend

Yeah I would boil them for 2 hours and do some research to make sure no chemicals were used to make them. Some are painted

I was thinking that too I figured I'd use silicon to hold the structure together and maybe some kinda rock base to was it down thought it'd be a cool idea for my 33 gallon I picked up at a yard sale this past weekend

We definitely need pics when your done

Lincoln logs are treated with wood stain. I would not put that in any of my tanks.

Haha alright ill go through some extra work have a design in my head I think it'd look crazy. Ill do some calling and askin questions and make sure they are gunna be safe

Don't they have to be non toxic for kids?

I could see the danger in it but I think the idea might be worth some testing. Like others have said boil em for a long time then maybe set up a small tank and see if they chnage the water chemistry then add some fish and see how they do.

And I've seen lots of different finishes on lincoln logs. Maybe there's a plain wood variety.

Alright sweet ill look at toys r us this weekend :) Ive never heard of anyone doin this thought it could have some potential in making a really nice tank

Logs I've ever had we're plain wood so you can find them.

Yeah I remember mine being plain wood colored but they did have some kinda coating. You could taste it if you put em in your mouth... never hurt me as a kid lol my guess is you could soak/boil that off.

Lol good to know I think it'd be safe ill look aroundsee what I find maybe ill call the company

According to a quick peek at the company site, all the logs made now are treated with a stain, to preserve them. They don't say what kind of stain, or if it has pigments in it.

They did try making them of plastic but it was not successful in the market so they went back to all wood.

I'd for sure contact the company and ask what kind of stain and also what kind of pigment if any is used. Stains often become a part of the wood, they sink into the cells and become a permanent part of the structure. They are not like paint, which is surface coating, or varnish.

So removing stains might be a challenge. But experimentation is worth trying. Novel idea for sure.

Is there any stain remover that would be safe or that is possible to get outta the work? What if I let the wood soak in acetone for a day or two then bowl it for several hours? Possibly a few times?

Is there any stain remover that would be safe or that is possible to get outta the work? What if I let the wood soak in acetone for a day or two then bowl it for several hours? Possibly a few times?

Wood* I feel like there would be something that could work or even bleach but I'd be worried about the pigmentation and coloring that'd leave

It depends what type of stain they used. Some of them can be bleached out, it will take out most or all of the colour. But some use permanent dyes, and can't be bleached out. I don't know enough about the chemistry to say how they'd work with fish.

I would ask the makers, for as much info as they are willing to part with. If you tell them what you want to do, they are going to say they can't tell you anything because they want no part of any liability issues that might arise. So don't tell them it's for fish. Just ask if the stain can be removed, or bleached or if they can tell you if it is water or solvent based, and if it has pigments in it, what type of pigments they may be. Vegetable pigments are by and large pretty harmless. Aniline dyes are not at all harmless and I wouldn't try them for this.

It's a toy, so it has to be non toxic in it's cured or dry state, to be sold for children's use. But it could have lacquer in it, which acetone would dissolve. It could have plastic resins in it, many water based coatings do.. acryclic paints for example, which are never coming out once they dry, but are also harmless.

Experimenting is likely the only way you will find out for sure if it is safe to use, but hopefully the makers will tell you something useful.

It depends what type of stain they used. Some of them can be bleached out, it will take out most or all of the colour. But some use permanent dyes, and can't be bleached out. I don't know enough about the chemistry to say how they'd work with fish.

I would ask the makers, for as much info as they are willing to part with. If you tell them what you want to do, they are going to say they can't tell you anything because they want no part of any liability issues that might arise. So don't tell them it's for fish. Just ask if the stain can be removed, or bleached or if they can tell you if it is water or solvent based, and if it has pigments in it, what type of pigments they may be. Vegetable pigments are by and large pretty harmless. Aniline dyes are not at all harmless and I wouldn't try them for this.

It's a toy, so it has to be non toxic in it's cured or dry state, to be sold for children's use. But it could have lacquer in it, which acetone would dissolve. It could have plastic resins in it, many water based coatings do.. acryclic paints for example, which are never coming out once they dry, but are also harmless.

Experimenting is likely the only way you will find out for sure if it is safe to use, but hopefully the makers will tell you something useful.

I called them yesterday the only thing they really told me is that the stain they use is oil based

Back
Top Bottom