Light distance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brianf40us

Aquarium Advice Activist
Is there a average distance your light should be from the surface of the water. I say this because it seems like when i turn on my light my fish begin to get a twitch. My Tang shows this the most. If i turn off the light they are fine. Is my light to close to the water? My light is about 6 to 10 inches off the water

I believe thats normal for your Fish to twitch I believe its there way of Stretching? I could be wrong but I only have 40 watts of light and my Clowns and Damsel twitch every now and then and they are perfectly healthy.

Hmmm, interesting question. I tend to hang my lights at where the legs would hold them off the top of the tank (maybe 2-6 inches...depending on lighting {MH or VHO} at least on my tanks). This also depends on where your fill line is n your tank.
Tank may be right, my lights come on at 2 PM, so I am not home when they come on, so they might be "stretching".
If they are twitching all day, you might want to look at stray voltage.

Last edited:
My lights come on at 2pm as well, but on weekends when it comes on I've never noticed my fish twitching at all...
clown, sailfin, foxface, and blue tang.

If i were to take some copper wire and wrap it around the leg of the light and put the other end into the ground hole in a recepticle would this work?

OR

Should i elevate my light off the tank by hanging it from the ceiling.

If i were to take some copper wire and wrap it around the leg of the light and put the other end into the ground hole in a recepticle would this work?

OR

Should i elevate my light off the tank by hanging it from the ceiling.

I used a crimp terminal and screwed a green wire into the metal case that holds the ballast. Then you need to connect that green wire into the grounded receptacle. If your ground wire is connected to the metal hood that should work also. If you suspended your ungrounded fixture that wouldn't work. You may stand on a wet floor and touch the fixture and get shocked. I would ground everything electrical especially around water.
Charles

i dont think that it is stray voltage now because they have stopped the twitching. I think they were twitching because the light was new to them and they were stressed about it. Sometimes if i walk up to the tank the twitch but when i walk away and watch them they calm down and swim around.

Back
Top Bottom