Light setup inside canopy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

erawtik

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
The stand and sump are about done so now i need to start creating the canopy but was wondering about a decent light setup that will hook up inside the canopy. The tank is a 110 flat back hex front so i need lights to cover the whole tank well.

is it a DIY stand and canopy?

my uncle riggged a pretty swwet system of lights in his DIY setup. just getting the raw bulbs, and no hood and wireing them to a timer. it was really intricate and sweet cause he had 4 bulbs, and according to the time of day, a certain number of them would turn on. kinda like create sunrise-mid day-sunset type deals.

but if your lokking for MH lights, i wouldnt recomend doing that :p

but my uncle did it with some 50/50 daylight actinic bulbs. 10/100 or somethin like that.

oh, he just suspended the bulbs from the lid, and made sure the terminate ends where in no way going to get wet (i think he built a shroud aroud them even)

it was pretty sweet. :)

It all depends on what you want to keep. FOWLR, FO, or full blown reef. Depending on what you want, lighting will determine the need.
I have (2) 250w MH retro, and a 4x65w retro pc mounted into the hood of the canopy. However, if you decide to do MH, make sure the lighting is 8-12 inches off the water! To be on the safe side, create the canopy at 15" and you will have no worries. :)

Mike

I was looking at about an 8-10 inch wide board to create it and about 1 inch will be over the sides of the tank. And it will be a full reef im gonna have everything.

Back
Top Bottom