Lighting a 29g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JustOneMore20

Algae Fighter
I have changed my plans a bit for a reef tank, mainly because my lfs hasn't been able to get the 50g in that I want. Also I know I'll be moving within the next year and figure a smaller tank without a sump is probably easier to move.

Anywho...I'm planning on a 29g reef tank and I need some lighting suggestions. I would like to be able to atleast have some soft corals, LPS, and polyps...with maybe some SPS in the future. So I'd like for my lighting to be good for all and not have to upgrade for SPS should I decide I'm ready for those.

I thought about a 4x24w T5HO fixture, but that is only about 3wpg so I'm wondering if thats enough. Another option I've considered is metal halide. But having never used it, I'm not sure what wattage to look into.

What would you suggest?

The T5 fixture would be fine for soft coral and most lps. You may be able to do some of the less light intensive SPS with that as well as long as they are at the top. You would be fairly restricted on SPS though.

As far as MH, they make bulbs in a 150 and 175 range that would be good for your tank. This would give you enough light to keep just about anything. Keep in mind that some low light corals may need to be sheltered a bit because it may be a bit strong. It is difficult with a tank that shallow to keep the full range from very low light to very high light coral.

I personally would start with the T5 fixture. If you can find a 6 bulb that would be probably about the best option. The problem with a MH is that unless you get a high K rated bulb it is difficlut to get that nice actinic look to the tank. It gives you a bit more flexibility with the T5 because you can change out the bulbs to different K values to change your light profile.

Thanks for the fast reply, Pat!

I forgot about the 6 bulb T5HOs. I have only found 1 fixture that is 30" long though and has 6 bulbs and its at buildyouraquarium.com. I have seen them recommended on a reef forum, but I haven't seen a pic of their actual fixtures (website has 2 different fixtures pictured...).

I'm considering going with a 30g instead....just to make it easier to find lighting and to have the bulbs the length of the tank (36").

I think I will take your suggestion of the T5HOs though. That seems to be the best since I can use half the fixture if I wanted.

If anyone else has any input, I'd love to hear it!

Dont worry too much about the wattage of a T5HO. What you are counting on is intensity from that system. In a 30 gallon tank IMO you`ll be OK with alot of corals including some SPS corals. The 6 bulb system will be most corals.

So the 6 bulb system will be enough for sure over a 30g (234w). Would the 4 bulb be enough (156w) assuming I have good bulbs? Just wondering, since the price difference is about $100+. I'm thinking about wattage though.

With the 30g tank being 3ft, it will be easier to find lighting it seems. :)

Thanks Mike!

Back
Top Bottom