Lighting for a 40 gallon breeder?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I love the setup! Looks great, cant wait until its finished!

Sent from my C6730 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Except my 700 return pump isn't enough now that I'm not running a 40 breeder and I have to run about 5' of pipe haha

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1413854937.285422.jpg
That's what I'm running right now and I don't the model of the one I'm buying. Buying it from a fellow reefer on a community Facebook page that I follow here in CO

If you look at this link-
Danner Mag-Drive Supreme 7 Return Pump - 700gph - Bulk Reef Supply
and scroll down to the "quick compare" chart, you'll see "max head height". This is how high the pump will push water until it cannot push any more. According to this chart, at roughly 11 feet, this current pump will not push water at all.
As you can see a bit lower, the mag 12, which is 1200 gph, (almost twice as much) stops pushing water at 13.5 feet. Not even close to twice as far. These pumps are not high head pumps, so you have to choose with that in mind.
Figure how many feet up, and also how many 90 degree elbows and even 45 degree elbows there are, as they create head pressure also. Then figure out how many gph you want coming back to the tank. This is how you choose a pump to suit your needs.

Ahhhhh, I got ya. Just had a reefer come over to pick up my old 20 and he told me I should just eliminate the two 90's I have on there now with 45's

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1413911329.590818.jpg
Everyone's in there home, now to order a wp 40 and buy my bigger return pump

Ahhhhh, I got ya. Just had a reefer come over to pick up my old 20 and he told me I should just eliminate the two 90's I have on there now with 45's
How is that supposed to help? So, he feels that if you use two 45's in the place of a 90 it's going to make a big difference? I don't think it's going to be that noticeable.
I would just look for a pump to suit your needs.

Just not as sharp of corners and I gave a 1450 gph lined up for Friday and I'm gonna check the up force on it too lol

Just not as sharp of corners and I gave a 1450 gph lined up for Friday and I'm gonna check the up force on it too lol
If you look at this calculator, you'll see this is incorrect.
I took your existing pump and gave it 5 feet of height to climb, then a 45, and it was 383gph, then I replaced the 45 with a 90 and it gave me 380gph. Hardly worth your time.
Head Loss

Ahhhh, nice, not cutting pvc today then. Well I do have to put a check valve in my return line but other then that plumbing is done.

Alright mr x, next question for your reef genius!!!!!!! Lol, should I order the wp 25 or wp 40 wave maker for my tank? Dimensions are 36lx15dx20h??
Your expertise is needed haha

Back
Top Bottom