Lipid??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stanley

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I know the photo is dreadful but as soon as I took this one and got it loaded on my computer to see that it was in fact dreadful, the little fellow decided to crawl out of sight. From what I have been able to find, my best guess is a lipid (?).

15147-8-03_critter.jpg

(I hope that did it)

It's about 1/2-3/4" across and the shell is sort of an elongated cone, or as I said to myself "looks like a volcano".

Regardless of what it is I guess it needs to be taken out while the tank cycles, but I'd appreciate any help in figuring out what it actually is.

Thanks!

I edited your post to make the photo show, you need to right click on the photo and get the url of the actual pic, not the page it is embedded in, otherwise you did it right (y)

I can't really see it to well, but it could be a limpet or a chiton.

It's got to be a limpid of some type. From everything I've been able to find it fits the description. I can't get the little bugger off the rock though. I'll keep trying while the tank cycles, but he's not letting go for anything.

Stanley said:
I can't get the little bugger off the rock though. I'll keep trying while the tank cycles, but he's not letting go for anything.

Not sure why you want to do that. Limpets are quite harmless algae eaters and should pose no threat to the tank. Trying to remove the limpet will most likely damage and possibley kill it.

Cheers
Steve

I was under the impression that the spikes in water chemistry during the cycling would be harmful for the little guy. I was hoping to find a time when he's not hanging on for dear life but I have pretty much given up. These things are ON the rock until they want to move. I was going to put it in the quarantine tank with the urchin and snail until my tank is done.

On a side note:

I've been putting off my final paper for a class that's due tomorrow morning and was staring at the tank while planning my first draft 8O . It looks like I have a clam of some sort about 3/8" long embedded in a rock and I've seen a couple of worms as well. I'm all giddy.

Just a reminder your image is not appearing because the photo gallery is down till the DNS updates on the site. Hopefully that will happen within the next 24 hours for most of us.

While it is best to try not to have living organisms in the tank during a cycle, your gonna find it real hard to get some of the live stoff out of the rock. The limpet will most likely make it, I snapped a pic of one of my limpets so you could compare.

limpet.jpg

Kevin,

First off: Your photos make mine look like both the camera and I have been playing drinking games all night. And actually, that's not so far off base. :drinking:

Your (very clear) photo is the spitting image of what's in my tank. Or, maybe mine was blurry because they move so fast? Yea, I thought not.

I'm glad to hear that his odds are good because whatever is holding it on there needs to be studied, duplicated in a lab, and turned into some kind of marketable miricle glue to keep the Post-it-notes from coming off my monitor.

Thanks for your time folks. I feel better about it riding this tank cycle out now.

Eric

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom