List of equipment for 29 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

virus

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey everyone i just created thism post in respose to my nano aube question, so i have a new one.

This cristmas i am getting a new 75 gallon and i want to convert my 29 gal into saltwater, a i am new with salt. I am planning on haveing a FOWLR aquarium and i wanted to get the list of equipment that i need so i can go ebay it lols. i have Sand already, plus heater and filter :twisted: so i think im doing pretty good so could anyone let me know all of the prices of the stuff, becasue im going to ebay it , and i also have a lotta patience. so prices like LR and stuff! i also would like to know any DIY for saltwater

What kind of sand do you already have?

You have the tank and stand aleady, which is good. You will also need a:

Hydrometer -$7-10.
Salt- $10-30 depending on size.
Test Kits - $20- $30.
Powerheads - $20 depending on kind.

LR can be expensive, and for sure will be your most expensive item. Alot of people order online, I get mine from my LFS. On average, I'd say good rock is anywhere from $4 to $8 a pound, and you would need around 35-40 pounds to be well stocked with rock.

ok i have a lfs that sells it for 2.50-3.50 a pound and i have home depot play sand that is washed, i thought i saw alot of things like Protien skimmers and sumps what about them? can i DIY them?

I just used a 10g under my 30. Matter of fact, I still use the 10g under my 65 (the 15g wouldn't fit). Skimmers are great if you can afford one but with a FOWLR it isn't as necessary. Just keep up on your water changes and you'll be fine. I agree with the 80%base 20%live theory. Worked well for my main so far.

so 35 pounds of rock 28 ponds of base rock and 7 pounds of live rock, then salt and a hyprometer and power head? thats ALL i need?? wow if thats right it cost a heck of alot cheaper then i was thinking!!!! i have home depot playsand its....quickrete preimium playsand

Stock lightly, don't over feed and you'll be fine! I'm not so sure on the Quickcrete playsand (not one of the ones I've seen as acceptable) but if you've done your homework and you're sure it is ok then you're set.

Stay away from the silica sand (quikrete) some HD's carry a southdown brand that works good, also durascape. I bought a 3000lb pallet of sand just to have so if you can not find any I may be able to help. Baserock with some LR to seed works good and saves cash. Do not get to happy on the cost. Something aways blind sides you in this hobby you will spend more than you plan to.

hmm well its working good for my 30 Fresh tank but i guess ill switch the sand then, but i hear you that things blindside you in ANY kinda tank

hirocks.com is the cheapest place around shipped. liverocks.com also sells "live" baserock but you will pay more for it.

if you don't mind to spend a little more money on your rock. I would go with liverocks.com they have the best rock out there. Beleive me its worth it in my mind. plus u get lots of life with there rock. Some bad some good. Like i said if money don't matter i would get like 20lbs of base rock and 20lbs of keys or gulf. The keys rock is really pretty but not much life and the gule still looks good but has more life. It was just a thought to maybe help u out....good luck saltwater is fun

I added about four pieces of liverock to my tank (from an already established tank) - and collected about 300lbs of Texas holy-rock from "clean" areas (bleached as a secondary preventative measure). Saved myself about $1500 if I had purchased it all as live - plus prevented from having all of the negative hitch-hikers (save from featherdusters, pods and snails). Some people appreciate hitch-hikers - but I'm not interested in battling aiptasia, mantis shrimp, or anything else like that. The only problem with this is waiting four weeks for it to cure and another four weeks for coraline to propagate accordingly (there are additives to help increase coraline growth significantly, but I'm anti-additive as well, hehe).

Once you start, you'll have the mind-set of working slowly - but you'll get impatient, we all have, and still do - and you end up buying something you didn't really have to buy for way more than you should have just because you wanted it at the time. Dont lie, I know we're all guilty :oops: . (My mistake was a mandarin added at the two-month mark).

Before you even begin, you should know what kind of tank you want:
-Fish only/FO (Predator or peaceful or both)
-Fish only with Live Rock/FOWLR (predator or peaceful or both)
-Fish with liverock and coral/Reeftank (typically only peaceful, but you can get away with some predatory fish - tho it will generally prevent you from adding hermits, snails and the like for a cleanup crew)
-Liverock and coral only/Reeftank (no fish)

Some might even go into subcategories of whether or not you want an anemone (or two or more) or clam(s) - but this list is about as simple as it gets.

The selections below do not affect your fish/coral choices, but you should have this figured out first as sand is typically the first thing added after the water:
Barebottom (no sand)
Thin sand-bed (less than 8")
Deep sand-bed (more than 8")

Also, something to keep in mind, know your limitations. How big is the tank going to be will be a huge deciding factor on the type of fish and how many you can keep -- how many you can keep will also be regulated by the type of tank you have (listed above). Whether or not you can choose one of the above will also be limited by the lighting you provide your tank (NO - 10-40w per bulb, HO - 40w+ per bulb, VHO - 110w/160w per bulb, PC - 65w/96w per bulb, MH - 175w/250w/400w+ per bulb, total wattage amount, type of bulbs, and watts per gallon are common terms to research).

All of this, of course, will be regulated by the time you're willing to put into the tank (time, of course = $$$$). I was fortunate enough to have a significant amount of my tank and accessories donated (tank, stand, fuge, UV, pumps, various NO lights that have since been replaced and the four pieces of rock listed above), however there are tons of upkeep expenses: water changes (purified water ($) & salt ($) ), test kits ($), food ($), and additives ($). Though I haven't spent much on my tank personally, it has still added up after about 8 months to around $1500-2000 mark. But do not fret, expendatures decrease the longer you've had your tank (and can possibly reverse if you begin selling coral frags to others/LFS), and some long-term expendatures can be resolved by purchasing something to prevent the recurring expense (6-stage water filtration devices would be a prime example of this).

If you want to save yourself a TON of money, check for a local aquarium hobbyist forum/classfied ads. I purchased my Icecap 660 setup (four URI bulbs retail for about $25-40per, ballast retails for $170ish, digital timer retails for about $100) from a local guy for $120. :eek: My MH setup was $75.. again :eek:

Even with all of the dinero I've dumped into this hobby, I have never regretted spending a single dime of it! Its ROI (return on investment) has been 10-fold. :)

If this isn't more information than you could absorb in one sitting - I must be doing something wrong. :D

And as always, welcome to the forums, and best of luck in your adventure into saltwater. 8)

ok ima going to tell what i want so i can get a better list,
A 29 gallon
Fish only with liveRock and Coral
A thin Sand bed
but what are the diffrences of FLOWLR then with Coral?

The main difference is tolerance. Corals are less tolerant of water parameter changes (need to test/dose Ca/Alk), Nitrate (more frequent water changes and/or skimmer) and light requirements (while there are some non-photosynthetic corals like sun polyps who need to be fed) most other corals will not survive under NO ($) lighting. There are many that will do well under PC lighting ($$) and even more who will enjoy basking in the brighter light of MH ($$$). Shoot for 2#/G of live rock at the optimal (not necessary all at once in the beginning).

I am interested in starting a tank as well, except mine is a 55g. What equitment do I need for a FOWLR tank?

The list would be the same no matter what size the system (the parts would just be larger). You'll NEED rock (70/30-80/20 base/live split 1-2 #/g), salt, sump if possible, flow of at least 10x your water volume per hour (20+ for corals), for FOWLR you won't NEED PC lighting but it will improve the look of the tank. You'll also need test kits, refractometer and ph meter. Light stocking and skimmer help to ease maintenance and algae issues.

Back
Top Bottom