Little Black Bugs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lwhite281

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just noticed these little black bugs at the bottom of my beta's fish tank this morning. They weren't there on Friday. I didn't work yesterday so these little things appeared sometime within the last 3 days.
Does anyone have any idea what they are and if they are harmful? What should I do to get rid of them? The tank is a 2.5 gallon tank, has one live plant in it that is looking pretty thin and one male betta. I haven't added anything to the tank since I first set it up. There's no air pump or filter either. Just a heater. The picture doesn't do it justice, but those little black dots are actually bugs. They are moving or running along the bottom. I occassionaly see one try and climb up the side of the tank wall, but it falls right back down.
I would be so grateful if someone can help me figure out what these are and what I should do about it.
Thanks!!

Attachments

• picture_049_699.jpg
    picture_049_699.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 467
I would guess they are some sort of water flea, most likely harmless. They could have hitched a ride with something newly added to your tank. They should disappear if food source is low. Make sure you're not overfeeding.

They could be water fleas, hard to say. I am sure they are harmless. Do a water change and perhaps feed a bit less and they should go away. I get small bugs on the glass of my tanks throughout warmer summer temps, they don't harm the fish at all.

Back
Top Bottom