Live plants during cycle?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fredenj

Aquarium Advice Regular
Can I have live plants during my cycle and will they live through it? Any information for how much wattage you need for a certain size planted tank is appreciated and just freshwater plant info in general.

Plants actually feed off of ammonia so yeah they will do just fine :) with stock t8 lighting you can grow low light plants. This will include anubias, java fern, ha a moss, and crypts. More powerful lighting will open up a ton of new options but will get expensive quick and can easily lead to a huge algae bloom.

I've got 15 watts of fluorescent light on a 5.5. Is that good enough?

I got a sword plant to root pretty nicely with the same striplight. It's kindof old though, may not be super powerful, I could always get another? Then what could I plant? No actually I think it's more like 17 watts, so like a little over 30 watts of fluorescent light on a 5.5 gallon. And whats the deal with LEDs?

How many bulbs do you have over your tank and what size are they? What is your reflector like?

Watts / gallon is a fairly useless number nowadays. There are just too many different variables.

As for LEDs, you are going to have to be a little more specific about what you want to know about them. They each have a specific wattage that they run. Generally the 1w bulbs are useless for growing plants. 3w LEDs are the standard for planted tank lighting. Then there is the lens which will either focus the light from the standard 180 degrees that a bulb emits to 90 degrees all the way down to 40 degrees depending on the specific lens. This intensifies the light, giving more penetration, and requiring a higher number of bulbs for coverage.

I just have fluorescent right now. 17 watts. Should I get another light strip to have over 30 watts? I want to grow good plants.

I just have fluorescent right now. 17 watts. Should I get another light strip to have over 30 watts? I want to grow good plants.

You can grow "good" plants with any light. You just have to tailor your plant selection to match the light you currently have. Start out with a selection of plants from this list and then go from there.

Excellent List of Low Light Plants

I'm going to eventually get another strip light and what kindof light would be best to switch on at night?

I had sword plants in a 10 gallon with two 17 watt fluorescent lights and they rooted pretty good.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom