Live rock mystery

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nicsak90

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Does anyone kno what this thing is coming out of my live rock? I went out of town and when I came home this thing was out but quickly went back in and I haven't seen it since

This is it

Attachments

• image-3745978304.jpg
    image-3745978304.jpg
    179.6 KB · Views: 164
I looked it up and that's deffinetly what it is, I read they ate usually harmless but I don't want it to eat my coral..

I looked it up and that's deffinetly what it is, I read they ate usually harmless but I don't want it to eat my coral..

they won't eat your coral. if you don't like them you can pick them out, but they are a good part of the clean up crew. just be sure not to touch it with your bare hands

Careful. It may be a fire bristle worm. Will sting you if you touch it so use tweezers. Wont eat your coral. It is cleanup crew however if it does crawl over some coral it could sting them accidentally

I was looking up something else and I got it confused...I haven't seen the worm again but since it's been out there like a pile if dead crabs by it? I don't kno if it killed them or not, when the weather changed my water dropped to 74 degrees I adjusted but my shrimp has also been hiding....I don't kno if it's the temperature or worm killing them everything else in my tank seems to be fine

He shouldnt be killing your crabs. I have one in my 20g. 4 hermits fire shrimp false clown longnose butterfly(i know he shouldnt be in there) and yellow tailed damsel. He doesnt hit any of them. All coral have been fine but if your crabs did die then he would go for them. They are scavengers which would explain why he would bring them closer to where he hangs out

He shouldnt be killing your crabs. I have one in my 20g. 4 hermits fire shrimp false clown longnose butterfly(i know he shouldnt be in there) and yellow tailed damsel. He doesnt hit any of them. All coral have been fine but if your crabs did die then he would go for them. They are scavengers which would explain why he would bring them closer to where he hangs out

you have a long nose butterfly in a 20 g
Hate to be the one to bust your bubble but they require a minimum of 75g

when the weather changed my water dropped to 74 degrees I adjusted but my shrimp has also been hiding....I don't kno if it's the temperature or worm killing them

when you brought your temp up did you do it slowly like 2* per day or was it a rapid rise let's go with the shrimp first they are delicate any sudden changes in any of the water parameters will most likely kill the shrimp

hermits are not as delicate but yes sudden changes will kill those also
so the worm most likely was doing its job

I would suggest you monitor your tank closely as a big temp change most likely stressed your fish and you may have a ick out break

Like i said i know he shouldnt be there but hes so **** cool and actually doing well. Figured id just sell him when he gets bigger

No I raised the temp quickly =\ I didn't know...everything seems okay now and I actually saw one of my crabs (I thought was dead) out today...I guess he's the only one who made it and it was just his shell that he shed....I'm very greatful for everyone's patience on this site! Ive been learning so much!

Back
Top Bottom