Livebearers inbreeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GhillieSniper115

Aquarium Advice Freak
Is it safe for fish to inbreed? I know that they do it in the wild but I mean can tropical domestic fish? Or will it cause problems?

That is how all the different color strains are developed. It is safe for a few generations but different stock needs to be mixed in to keep the fish healthy and hearty. Weird traits can start popping up if the same group is inbred to much and the fish become sickly and short lived.

rich311k said:
That is how all the different color strains are developed. It is safe for a few generations but different stock needs to be mixed in to keep the fish healthy and hearty. Weird traits can start popping up if the same group is inbred to much and the fish become sickly and short lived.

So after 2 gen ad a couple new fish?

jetajockey said:
more than that, its usually 4 or 5 or more. You'll know, when you start having lots of culls, deformities, or low birth rates, then they've been inbred (line bred) for too long.

Well I don't want to wait that long. That's wat I'm trying to avoid

every 2nd gen is okay too i mean better safe than sorry i used to breed guppies and i never mixed in any new fish and bred them for about a year which is like 12 generations of guppies and i never had any problems but if you worried you can add new ones every 2nd generation if you want just know that fish from the store arent always healthy so becareful wouldnt want to have any accidents and lose all your fish. and im not going against what these guys said but I in past experience have never had a problem with inbreeding. hope that helps

When you are line breeding it can be expensive/difficult to get fresh blood since many strains started from a single group and branched off, I think the most feasible method is to get some new to mix in that aren't easily traceable back to the ones you are already working with.

I don't know enough about the genetics side of it (with guppies) to know if you can cross out/cross back like with other species strains, or if it's even necessary.

mike47517 said:
every 2nd gen is okay too i mean better safe than sorry i used to breed guppies and i never mixed in any new fish and bred them for about a year which is like 12 generations of guppies and i never had any problems but if you worried you can add new ones every 2nd generation if you want just know that fish from the store arent always healthy so becareful wouldnt want to have any accidents and lose all your fish. and im not going against what these guys said but I in past experience have never had a problem with inbreeding. hope that helps

K but I'm talking about swordtails and fancy guppies here. What fish did u use?

Back
Top Bottom