loaches and MTS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hoovercat

Aquarium Advice Freak
Rather simple question. I got a half dozen MTS yesterday for my new 90 gal. and was wondering if anyone had experience with Yo-Yos or clown loaches being kept with them. I know both loaches will wipe out pond snails but I haven't kept MTS before. Seems like someone said the MTS had better defenses?

I've also seen people recomed Loaches to him curb a MTS outbreak :) I dont really know however.

MTS are harder for loaches to eat cause their shells are a lot tougher. I have two horseface loaches in my 20 and about a million MTS....as far as I know, the loaches don't touch the MTS's, and if they do, it's not often.

The loaches in my tanks control the mts populations, but never wipe them out. I assume this is because a high % of the MTS population is in the substrate most of the time.

I have 3 mid-sized yoyos in a tank with a thriving MTS population, and I have not noticed any snail decline since the loaches were added, so if they are eating MTSes, it is not many.

my clowns easily wipe out baby MTS. the shells aren't as hard as the adults. they'll definitely keep the population size in-check.

malkore said:
my clowns easily wipe out baby MTS. the shells aren't as hard as the adults. they'll definitely keep the population size in-check.

Yes, clowns mow through anything snail-like with gusto....my clowns left a visible trail of shell frags wherever they went when I first introduced them to their current tank.

My Yo-Yo and Angelique Botia's will munch through smaller snails... but they don't/can't touch adult MTS. They also do not eat my Mystery Snail, or the Adult limpet.

Mostly the same experience here: Clowns munch away and yo-yo's kinda pick at smaller ones. Either way you are controlling the population, just to different degrees.

My African cichlids have wiped out the mts population in the 80 gal--the one tank I really want them in!!
angry-smiley-010.gif

Back
Top Bottom