Local pet stores..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

XxNoobxX

Aquarium Advice Freak
Let's say I will have dwarf gourami fry... And I don't want them... Will my local fish store like petsmart or petco take them if I donate them.??
I'm just wondering...

Let's say I will have dwarf gourami fry... And I don't want them... Will my local fish store like petsmart or petco take them if I donate them.??
I'm just wondering...

Actually a friend of mine bought a tank from craigslist and it came with a bunch of fish he did not want. Petco took them as part of some adoption program they have. I was quite surprised because they put them in the same tanks as their perspective others. So try Petco if nothing else works.

Actually a friend of mine bought a tank from craigslist and it came with a bunch of fish he did not want. Petco took them as part of some adoption program they have. I was quite surprised because they put them in the same tanks as their perspective others. So try Petco if nothing else works.

Ohh wow I will try it..

I've brought a molly and 2 gourami back to Pet Smart. They just put them in a QT tank and that's all I know. Not sure if they try to sell them or what. Maybe they give them away.

I've brought a molly and 2 gourami back to Pet Smart. They just put them in a QT tank and that's all I know. Not sure if they try to sell them or what. Maybe they give them away.

Bet they sell them :p

The Petco in my are does take fish in on an "adoption" program as well. I am not sure if they quarentine the fish or not, I would hope so, but I do know they will post signs in the fish dept about having some fish available for adoption at a lower cost than what is for sale in the tanks.

The Petco's in my area have adoption tanks. All fish in these tanks are free to a good home. Petsmart...different story. I think this is more of a regional thing.

David

The Petco's in my area have adoption tanks. All fish in these tanks are free to a good home. Petsmart...different story. I think this is more of a regional thing.

David

I'm agree with that... That's regional stuff... Some places they do accept fish that you don't want and some places don't...

My Petco/Petsmart doesnt have an "adoption" tank, but now Im curious on their policy. My Petco is getting its fish/reptile area rehab'd... maybe they'll add something like that.

PetSmart can only take fish back if it's within their 14 day guarantee period. They do go in a quarantine tank at first, but once the quarantine ends, they go back in the main system to be sold again. They cannot take any other fish.

I have heard about some petcos having adoption tanks. Never had any experience myself though.

In the past I've always talked to my local mom and pop shop about taking babies off my hands. Some will even give you store credit for them.

Hmm.. I have a place nearby that only does fish (and a tiny reptile section) called Aquarium Adventure. They have a total of 3 locations. I wonder if they would qualify as "Mom & Pop". No harm in asking I suppose.
I'll soon be adding 3 female Mollys to the tank that currently has 1 male and Im not all that interested in raising the fry to adulthood. I should probably start looking for a place that will take them.

Back
Top Bottom