Lonely guppy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tianna8999

Aquarium Advice Regular
Good morning everyone! I’m new to the hobby. I got two dwarf gourami, 5 guppy 3 female and 2 male, and 2 shrimp. One of my male guppy seems to be lonely. I put them all in the same tank and everyone seems fine and happy but my guppy just sits at the bottom of the tank while the others hang around together. In fact it tries to hide... HELP PLEASE [emoji24]

Welcome! Something recent or always been like that? Still eating and erect finage as well?

I just got them yesterday, is a new/used tank. I threw a couple flakes in yesterday but I didn’t see him eat anything while I was watching.

I just got them yesterday, is a new/used tank. I threw a couple flakes in yesterday but I didn’t see him eat anything while I was watching.

I just don’t know if I should get another female or more guppys or return it?

It is likely ill.

What are your tanks parameters
Ammonia
Nitrite
Nitrate
pH
GH/KH
TDS

Store can test the water for you.

How long has the tank been set up?

It is likely ill.

What are your tanks parameters
Ammonia
Nitrite
Nitrate
pH
GH/KH
TDS

Store can test the water for you.

How long has the tank been set up?

Two of the guppies died one male
One female. The tank has been set up for a month and was previously used for freshwater so it wasn’t out of a box new. Ammonia 0 nitrate 0 nitrite 0 PH after I just did a 50% water change it dropped to 7.5 I am not able to test the GH And KH TDS

How are they looking after the water change?

Are you familiar with the nitrogen cycle? If not read through the article in my signature link. One of the big things is to get a beneficial bacteria /BB colony growing in the filter pad. Not rinse off in untreated/ chlorine tap water.

They can be delicate after all the challenges of getting from vendors over seas or breeder with all the shipping, it is hard on them and really stressful. They easily get ill.

Keeping water quality in perfect order is a big help.

With Guppies, I have found many have internal parasites, so just keep a watch and see how it goes.

When selecting new fish, always go with the most active, healthy looking, clear eyed ones you can. Avoid ones that are looking under the weather, or sluggish. Or are in tanks with many other sick or dead fish. It seems like it goes with out saying but I have even done it myself. :banghead:

After a long 2-3 weeks I bought a cycled sponge from Angel plus. I lost all my guppies and shrimp through the process. My readings have been steady for the past 3 days.
Ammonia .25
Nitrite 0 to very low .25
Nitrates 10 to 20ppm
Am I cycled?

Back
Top Bottom