Looking for an eel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What kind of Eel (if any) should I get?

• Don't get an eel!

Votes: 6 75.0%
  • Electric

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Black Spotted

• Snowflake Moray

• Purple Spaghetti

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Oscillated Spiny

• Tiretrack

• Tiger

• Half-Banded Spiny

• Zig Zag

• Peacock

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Other (post in comments or PM me)

• Total voters
Cory cats should live to be about 15 years old so if they died then there were obviously some problems. Some fish are exaggerated on live aquaria but then again most aren't. There aren't any eels that should go in a tank that size.
The Cory Cats are still alive as far as I know. I gave them to my friend Marco.

I really want an eel for my tank, but I doubt I can have one. All my larger tanks are taken up by TONS of things DEFINITELY incompatible, and my smallest one is the only option. It's about 12-15 gallons,
What are the dimensions of your tank? Determining it's footprint and actual gallons is important. and has things in it at the moment and I'm not sure if it will work. I have:
*One baby 3-inch Pleco (who I will of course move when he gets big)
It looks like it's already time to move it.
*Three Runny Noses who I've had for about as many years (I know the eel would eat them, so I would wait until they are gone)
*One abnormally large 2.5-inch Cory Cat
Sounds like normal size for many cory species, but the tank is too small for these. They should be stocked in groups. Most catfish don't like to be alone, but especially cories. Getting 4 to 5 more of the same species and moving them to a larger tank would be the best case scenario.
*One 3-Inch Leopard Fish
A leopard bush fish? Grows to twice that size and is probably already too large for this tank...
The water is quite clean and well oxygenated, and the Pleco handles 90% of the Algae. The one concern about the fish I do have is the Cory Cat-is 2.5 inches big enough? As for the terrain, I have three fake plants (I tried real ones and my fish avoided them entirely, but seem to love the fake ones) and two rocks. The gravel is more like fine white sand and surprisingly soft. And the tank is totally escape-proof. Trust me. What I'm looking for is any NON-BRACKISH eel, the smaller the better. I heard there were some tiny six-inch ones, but I haven't been able to find any of those. So my question is, should I consider an eel No way should any eel be housed in a tank this size. and what kind? Or should I wait a few yearsC for one of the big tanks to get freed up?:confused: PLEASE VOTE
Comments in red above :)

Seems settled. No eel for a few years! Thanks all for saving an eel from my inexperienced clutches! Though I am still curious about the 6-inch eel... Anyone finds out more, tell me please!

Your existing fish arnt suited to that size of a tank and certainly any eel will not work in a 10 or a 15 gallon tank unfortunately and to put one in a tank of that size would be unfair.

What size are bigger tanks you have and whats the stock?

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Last edited:
Your existing fish arnt suited to that size of a tank and certainly any eel will not work in a 10 or a 15 gallon tank unfortunately and to put one in a tank of that size would be unfair.

What size are bigger tanks you have and whats the stock?

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Check my profile.

No freshwater eel will fit in that size tank. When you upgrade the 3 black ghost knifes to a humongous tank then maye use the 60 for a tiretrack eel

There is a new hard to find spiny eel species that stays about 3-4 inches. I think the comkon name is fantasy eel or something but info is very scarce. (Im not being sarcastic that is what they call it)

Another dwarf eel is a blind cave eel. That's not it's name I don't think that's what the magazine I was reading called it. Looked pretty cool and had like tiny eyes, like guys I'm talking tip of a needle small! But the magazine stressed how stupidly uncommon they are and how hard it is to find them in the wild

Another dwarf eel is a blind cave eel. That's not it's name I don't think that's what the magazine I was reading called it. Looked pretty cool and had like tiny eyes, like guys I'm talking tip of a needle small! But the magazine stressed how stupidly uncommon they are and how hard it is to find them in the wild
Thanks, but it seems they are endangered.

There a good eel to have, and not hard to take care of at all.

Back
Top Bottom