Looking fro an Oranda size chart

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GrkGumby12

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Maybe something that shows estimates of growth based on age.. Just would like to know if my oranda goldfish are growing at a healthy rate.. I know many factors come to play but i feel like i've prepared well enough to make sure they have enough space, eating well and they are not stressed.. Genetics i can't help but if anyone can help, i'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks

I have one Oranda, about a year and a half old. He's 3 inches long, not including his tail or fins, and about 1.5 inches tall, again body only. His tail fin is another 2 to 3 inches long. His head is almost the size of the rest of his body. I guess overall he's about half or more the size of my palm.

I hope that helps. By the way, I keep him and 4 other fancy goldfish in a 46 gallon tank, weekly 50% water changes, and I feed them all specialized oranda food.

Thanks A.W. I have 2 orandas, 1 is really small, 1 comet and a black moor in a 46 bowfront.. i don't plan on keeping the comet though so i will have 3 or maybe 4 if i get one more fancy.. either way im sort of new to this and im loving it..

My bigger oranda is probably a lil' bit smaller than your guy, my lil oranda is probably like an inch and a half total, my black moor is probably 2.5" total, and the comet is about 1.5"-2"

I think with goldfish you should have 20g for the first goldfish then 10g for every additional fancy. So if you had a 46g you should only keep with fancies. I'd say to get rid of that comet. Its gonna be massive! Lol .

My Goldies are also in a 46 bowfront. My three favorite are the red capped oranda "Einstein", the orange lionhead "Nala", and the calico ryunkin "Invader Zim".

Einstein - losing color in his wen
2012-09-17 15.56.42-1.jpg

Sweet Nala
2012-09-17 15.57.26-1.jpg

Invader Zim
2012-09-17 15.56.23-1.jpg

The Crew
ForumRunner_20120917_160637.jpg

I have to agree, 3 fancies in a 46g max. As they grow, they will really push your bioload to the max even without the comet. Average grow rates for fancies vary by breed, age, diet, genetics, etc but they do the largest portion of their growth in their first 2-3yrs of life until they hit sexual maturity. Average of 1/2 to 1in per month. One of the largest orandas on record is Bruce (see link below) who is rumored to be over 18in right now.

Giant goldfish swims into the record books | News | Practical Fishkeeping

Back
Top Bottom