Losing 4th clown

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rupp3322

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have lost 3 clowns since starting my aquarium idk, 3 mo ago. They all got something that affected the skin from the top of the head to the dorsal fin. Lfs told me to do a dip in whatever green/blue stuff she dips her fish in. She thought it was some kind of fungus. There was no mucus around the gills so not thinking brooklynella. Anyway, all 3 clowns died the day after the dip. I followed lfs directions to the T. So at 1st sign of my last clown getting this I dipped him and he is acting funny this morning. This is a mystery to me b/c all other fish a perfectly healthy! It's a clownfish killing epidemic. I am now qting all my new purchases which I wish I would've done from the start and this may have been prevented , but you live and you learn. I'm super bummed about losing all these beautiful fish. Any thoughts on why this attacked all my clowns? And thoughts on clowns in this tank in the future? Strangely I have had 2 snails die in this tank as well. Something's fishy. No pun intended. My yellow angel, sand sifting goby, and yellow/ blue damsel are perfect so far(knock on wood). And I have a 6lined wrasse I bought in my qt for 4 weeks doing well. My dt is a 60 gal hex. Parameters are 0 amm, 0 nitrites, and minimal nitrates. Salinity is 1.023. Any idea what this clownfish plague might be and what the future outlook for clowns is?

This must be a stumper for everyone. No comments.

Souds similar to what my wild caught perc clown had, im not exactly sure if it is though.. Without pics cant be too sure.

But what i did was just net my fish and let him swim around in a small bucket of fresh ro/di water or lay in it (she laid in it the first time, the disease was causing rapid breathing) for a couple of mins then net it back into the aquarium. I did it for about 2-3 days and it is still living today with no issues.

I thought i was about to lose her back then

Did they have white spots? Were they breathing rapidly? Im thinking ick. It seems like the dip was killing them though.

Yeah all of the above. Idky the dip killed them.

I actually lost 4 pairs of clowns when I first started. I let the tank go without clowns for 6 months and then introduced new ones and have had no issues since. There are problems associated only with clowns such as the black dots. Something to consider. If you are planning on adding other livestock why not do that and just wait to keep the aggressive clowns until last.

Just to add- I had other fish in the tank- including tangs, that were all doing great.

Isnt it odd that my snails died? Wouldn't that indicate somethings wrong? Snails are indistructable, so I thought. Im afraid to add anything to the tank and also that my last 3 fish are doomed.

rupp3322 said:
Isnt it odd that my snails died? Wouldn't that indicate somethings wrong? Snails are indistructable, so I thought. Im afraid to add anything to the tank and also that my last 3 fish are doomed.

Water parameters?

Yeah the only thing I can think of is your salinity is low. What do you measure it with?

Back
Top Bottom