Lost a sick swordtail, think other is close behind

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Itsnotme1988

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have had a swordtail acting odd the last 2 wks or so and I assumed it was just because the other male was becoming more aggresive towards him. The first was constantly hiding and laying on the bottom gasping and would occasionally flick against a rock. Would come up to eat then right back to hiding. Today I found him face down, tail up dead on the bottom. Never saw clamped fins or any external parasites. I noticed yesterday the other male has started to act similarly but I thought it was because of transplanting everything from the established 29 to a new 40b (used the same filter from the 29, live plants and a couple handfuls of gravel) All other fish except one otocinclus (same symptoms, and still eating) in the tank are acting fine except my shy syno. ocellifer but I think it's hiding a bit more because of the comparably intense lighting they are in now. Neons, mollies, gourami, 3 otto's, guppies and all fry, pleco and snails seem to be okay currently.

Hi, checking water chemistry would be first thought? Might be a bit of tank stress from changing things plus if they were squabbling too much.

Back
Top Bottom