Lost over half my fish plz help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So I have moved everyone over to qt and have been online looking for anything I can about this glue. I went right to the manufacture of it and found this.
http://www.barclaysales.com/msds/Schwartz/10D1 MSDS.pdf
It doesn't say anything about after it's been applied or how safe it is for aquariums. Honestly I found it difficult to even understand. Maybe you all might have more luck with it than I? I found several links online to other forums that have used the same glue or which glues they recommend and the glue I used is one of the recommended. So I'm back to not knowing what to think again. Plus my husband swears it's not the glue. I'm wondering if he p'd in my tank like he always threatens to do!? LOL! Sorry I have to inject humor or I'm going to lose my mind here. ;-)

Well crap, I have no idea. I'd leave the fish in the qt and just see how they act and if they get any better.

Anyone else have any ideas?

I'm not one for giving up, but this tank is really frustrating me! Since moving the fish to the qt I've lost another one. :-S I can't even describe the sick to my stomach feeling of watching my fish die off one by one. Not knowing what the H E double hockey sticks I'm doing wrong!!?? Please any ideas I don't care at this point if they're completely off base I'm desperate for a solution.

Ok- heres an off base suggestion but have you checked all of your equipment in this tank for electrical connections? Maybe a loose wire or something is giving a bit of current to the water? I am racking my brain here....

[ I'm wondering if he p'd in my tank like he always threatens to do!? LOL! Sorry I have to inject humor or I'm going to lose my mind here. ;-)[/QUOTE]

LOL! I can appreciate that. I use humor the same way.

Very sorry for your losses. Fishkeepers biggest fear. I hope someone can help you, and sorry that I can't.

jlk said:
Ok- heres an off base suggestion but have you checked all of your equipment in this tank for electrical connections? Maybe a loose wire or something is giving a bit of current to the water? I am racking my brain here....

I haven't checked electrical per say, I have had my hands in there quite a bit since moving the fish and didn't feel anything? I checked my heater and thermometers to make sure they were running properly I double checked my pump, opened my canisters and checked for plugs. I checked smell, texture in the rocks and glass, I almost was tempted to take a "sip" to see what it tasted like. It is pretty smelly so I didn't get it past the nose test. Lol

savage said:
[ I'm wondering if he p'd in my tank like he always threatens to do!? LOL! Sorry I have to inject humor or I'm going to lose my mind here. ;-)

LOL! I can appreciate that. I use humor the same way.

Very sorry for your losses. Fishkeepers biggest fear. I hope someone can help you, and sorry that I can't.[/QUOTE]

Thank you I'm glad you're laughing with me ;-)

Mumma.of.two said:
I'm sorry for your losses. Did you let the glue fully cure in the tank and filtration? Did you fully rinse or soak everything before use?

I let the glue cure for 72 hours before I ran it wet and then for an additional 24 running wet and empty. I transferred all the decorations/substrate from the 46gal over I didn't soak or rinse the decorations before. I did soak the new filters in the old tank water before I put them in. Should I have done the deco and what not as well?? I did have ich in the old tank but I waited for the full treatment plus some before I did anything.

What kind of water conditioner do you use? Maybe heavy metals...? I honestly have no idea so im just going out on a limb here.

Hi funnily enough if he had p'd in the tank it would just put the ammonia levels up and wouldn't kill the fish,not that i would recommend it:lol:
Have you noticed any other symptoms other than the pop eye? Like heavy breathing,not eating,swimming funny,any discolouration on the body anything!? If in doubt i sometimes just give the tank a dam good clean one half then leave a week and do the other half and treat with tonic salt? Also i sometimes add nutrafins cycle if i think the filters are a little of key for some reason?
{INGESTION: Swallowing can cause nausea, vomiting, diarrhea and loss of consciousness} just read this about the stuff you used,doesn't sound good:nono:
Doesn't mention fish like you said or area's not to be used - for example around animals or aquatic environment? Does it give a number to ring? Like a public relations department for example?
Good luck

stingrays4 said:
Hi funnily enough if he had p'd in the tank it would just put the ammonia levels up and wouldn't kill the fish,not that i would recommend it:lol:
Have you noticed any other symptoms other than the pop eye? Like heavy breathing,not eating,swimming funny,any discolouration on the body anything!? If in doubt i sometimes just give the tank a dam good clean one half then leave a week and do the other half and treat with tonic salt? Also i sometimes add nutrafins cycle if i think the filters are a little of key for some reason?
{INGESTION: Swallowing can cause nausea, vomiting, diarrhea and loss of consciousness} just read this about the stuff you used,doesn't sound good:nono:
Doesn't mention fish like you said or area's not to be used - for example around animals or aquatic environment? Does it give a number to ring? Like a public relations department for example?
Good luck

There hasn't been any other symptoms other than the one ram that stayed at the bottom. Her tummy was red but I thought it was because she had eggs? Also the one cardinal that looked like its tummy exploded when I found it dead :-(
I've got the heat cranked in the big tank and have been dowsing it with salt. I removed the carbon and the fish before.
The glue that I used, the warning you see is before it's cured. There wasn't any information as to what it's effect would be after application or even in an aquarium. I'm leaning towards ripping all the pipe out and redoing it. I just have to figure out how to prove it is the glue in order to justify the cost of replacing it all to my hubby. If it is in fact the glue? I tried the contact us portion of their website and left an email. Hopefully they get back to me.

Mumma.of.two said:
How are all the fish today? They are in QT right?

I put them in qt and so far I've lost two more one yesterday and another today. :-(
Thankfully I didn't get rid of the other tank hey Mumma? If they're still dying in the qt does that mean it's not the big tank? Or has whatever is going on in the big tank just really got a hold on them? It seems like one thing after another here. I'm really hoping there's an end to this tunnel, and that the rest of my fish swim through.

Mlani said:
I put them in qt and so far I've lost two more one yesterday and another today. :-(
Thankfully I didn't get rid of the other tank hey Mumma? If they're still dying in the qt does that mean it's not the big tank? Or has whatever is going on in the big tank just really got a hold on them? It seems like one thing after another here. I'm really hoping there's an end to this tunnel, and that the rest of my fish swim through.

It really could be a number of things. If something is poisoning them you'd think you would see no more deaths but the more severely effected/poisoned ones would still expire after they are moved.
I came across this. Hholly linked it on another thread. Its pretty good for diagnosing disease.
http://badmanstropicalfish.com/fish_palace/tropicalfish_disease_identification.html#ERM
Maybe see if the symptoms match anything.

Mumma.of.two said:
It really could be a number of things. If something is poisoning them you'd think you would see no more deaths but the more severely effected/poisoned ones would still expire after they are moved.
I came across this. Hholly linked it on another thread. Its pretty good for diagnosing disease.
http://badmanstropicalfish.com/fish_palace/tropicalfish_disease_identification.html#ERM
Maybe see if the symptoms match anything.

I'm making supper right now and only had a chance to skim through for now. I'm going to give it a good read after everyones fed :) Thank you Mumma

Id say its the glue, go buy a couple cheap fish and put them back in it. If they die I better start all over

After reading through all of those, I found three that could fit one is obviously the pop eye two the tetra disease and three scares the crap out of me tb. All of those fall under the bacterial infection category. I treated the tank for bacterial maybe I didn't do it fast enough? I lost another one tonight, my son pointed it out at supper. So now I have only 2 tetras 3 raspboras 4 cories and one cat :-( At least there looks like more now that they're in the hexagon tank. When I get teary I just look at it from a different angle and it doubles the fish ;-)

boadams87 said:
Id say its the glue, go buy a couple cheap fish and put them back in it. If they die I better start all over

That's what my husband said to do too. I don't know if I can bring myself to put more fish in there knowing they might die :-(

Mlani said:
That's what my husband said to do too. I don't know if I can bring myself to put more fish in there knowing they might die :-(

If u don't wanna do that just empty everything and start over to completely remove all the glue.

Back
Top Bottom