Lots of Green algea, none of the purple stuff?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Civicman86

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Is their a way naturally to get more of the purple coraline stuff. IM getting lots of green algae on the rocks and its covering alot of the purple that was on the rocks origianlly.

If it is anything close to a new system, chances are it will take time to establish. Hobbyists always reccommend seeding the tank, different lighting, adding calcium, upping the alkalinity (A lot of variables that help) but I am more along the lines of thinking, coralline is either going to happen or it isn't going to happen. Some have halides and a tank that is established for years and wishing for it while others have a small tank with a few blue moon lamps and have it covering the rock, glass and equipment. Check out the GARF web site. They are as good as it comes to promoting the growth and proliferation of coralline.

I've recently switched from NO flourescents to VHO's and the coralline is really starting to take off. However, I've always had some on the LR.

I have always had good luck with just keeping the calcium and alkalinity stable and at the proper level.
Have you tested for these? If so what are the numbers.
Do you use any additives to keep these levels stable?
I have 2 tanks one with VHO and the other with NO lights and I have tons of coraline in both tanks.. So you can get it with less light..

i have NO lights and for about 6 months my coraline really didnt seemto be growing or spreading at any rate at all...the i was recommended to switch to reef crystals salt mix and within 1 month my coraline had doubled on my live rock...i dont use any other additives at all

I just upgraded from NO to VHO as well and the same thing happened, I think lower amounts of light are supposed to be better for corraline growth so I have no idea, probably just a more complete spectrum with VHO.

If you do regular water changes and you dont have a lot of corals then your alk and cal should be up enought to supprot coraline growth. I never check my fowlr for alk and cal and I have great coraline growth.
is the green algae soft or hard?? and where is it growing.

Well started on just the rocks and is kinda soft. THere is alot of the glass too but it is really hard. I just uped the snail count to 4 (they didnt have one more for my goal of 5). Im hoping they can regulate it. I only had 2 at the time when it really started to take off.

I dont mind it that much right since it adds some color but the purple is definatly hotter :)

Back
Top Bottom