Made out like a bandit!! :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My reef octopus HOB BH100 came with a silencer and I can hardly tell its there. I like it a lot!

How is the performance? A square body would be awkward for skimming I would think. I'm looking at the BH 90 if I buy one for my nano (which I'm hoping not to do).

How is the performance? A square body would be awkward for skimming I would think. I'm looking at the BH 90 if I buy one for my nano (which I'm hoping not to do).

It does a good job skimming, but it does produce some bubbles. I'm constantly emptying the skimmate. How big is your nano?

I don't think I'd go with an HOB reef octopus in my 100 gallon. Maybe if I had a smaller tank. At this point it's the confusion as to which one to buy. They all have different options... And my tank water in the sump isn't so high. Ahhhh the options. If the pump doesn't come in by Thursday i will have to buy a new skimmer. Sucks doing pwc twice a week. Haha. I would prefer to have the ATO instead of a new skimmer.

I don't think I'd go with an HOB reef octopus in my 100 gallon. Maybe if I had a smaller tank. At this point it's the confusion as to which one to buy. They all have different options... And my tank water in the sump isn't so high. Ahhhh the options. If the pump doesn't come in by Thursday i will have to buy a new skimmer. Sucks doing pwc twice a week. Haha. I would prefer to have the ATO instead of a new skimmer.

If you don't have a high water level in the sump you might want to consider the Hydor Performer line of skimmers. Mr Saltwater Tank has a review here:

7 Months With The Hydor Performer 2005 Recirculating Skimmer - YouTube

Apparently it doesn't require a specific water level in the sump.

Check craigslist for an ATO...people ditch them all the time...

Good news!!! Protein skimmer is back from the dead!!! Problem was due by user error! I don't know what the fluff I was thinking when I turned the skimmer back on I didn't think to put all of the 92740203 pieces back in place. I treated it as an actual pump. I thought to myself..." Self, your going to pay an additional 100 bucks for a new pump and there was one screw I hadn't placed in its place." So long story short Ive been calling my self a genius all day. Not because I'm a genius or saving myself a 100 bucks but because I could have put that crap together last week and had my pump running. Ugh!!! So mad at myself right now!!!

The awesome news is given i didnt have to order the pump i was able to order a Tunze Osmolator universal Auto top off just now!!! Yay!!! No more topping off everyday! Thank god! I don't mind going to the fish store to get water. So for now the ATO was more appealing than the RO/DI.

Good news!!! Protein skimmer is back from the dead!!! Problem was due by user error! I don't know what the fluff I was thinking when I turned the skimmer back on I didn't think to put all of the 92740203 pieces back in place. I treated it as an actual pump. I thought to myself..." Self, your going to pay an additional 100 bucks for a new pump and there was one screw I hadn't placed in its place." So long story short Ive been calling my self a genius all day. Not because I'm a genius or saving myself a 100 bucks but because I could have put that crap together last week and had my pump running. Ugh!!! So mad at myself right now!!!

The awesome news is given i didnt have to order the pump i was able to order a Tunze Osmolator universal Auto top off just now!!! Yay!!! No more topping off everyday! Thank god! I don't mind going to the fish store to get water. So for now the ATO was more appealing than the RO/DI.

Yaaaaaay!!!!!!

Where'd ya get the ATO from?

ATO should be here tomorrow. I can't wait. It's like Christmas morning!!! I had to fill my tank this morning for the last time manually. Ahhh this addiction. The really awesome part is I didn't have to pay for the ATO! :) It was a gift from the bf as a "just because". I think I have me a keeper guys! :) Glad I have a significant other who's infatuated with saltwater aquariums as I am.

Update on the tank: Need help with stock list... I was debating on putting no fish in my tank after the whole episode of having all but one fish die. Currently I have one blue damsel that made it through the whole ordeal. I bought 4 blue green chromis because I really enjoy them as a schooling fish. All five of them are in a QT. They are staying in there without any medications or anything. Just curious if I should be medicating prior to putting them in as a precaution. Any suggestions? My second question would be at suggestions for other fish or if I should get anymore. The BF really wants a yellow tang in the tank since I told him he can't have anything else... (He wanted an other banner fish and I said no). I don't think a tang is a great idea. Not to mention that I want a pair of clowns. I was thinking of giving the damsel away. Not sure how I could put it lightly to him. I think they are pretty but idk... What do you guys think? Live aquaria says 100 gallons... I'm working on getting more live rock in here... Your thoughts please...

ATO should be here tomorrow. I can't wait. It's like Christmas morning!!! I had to fill my tank this morning for the last time manually. Ahhh this addiction. The really awesome part is I didn't have to pay for the ATO! :) It was a gift from the bf as a "just because". I think I have me a keeper guys! :) Glad I have a significant other who's infatuated with saltwater aquariums as I am.

Update on the tank: Need help with stock list... I was debating on putting no fish in my tank after the whole episode of having all but one fish die. Currently I have one blue damsel that made it through the whole ordeal. I bought 4 blue green chromis because I really enjoy them as a schooling fish. All five of them are in a QT. They are staying in there without any medications or anything. Just curious if I should be medicating prior to putting them in as a precaution. Any suggestions? My second question would be at suggestions for other fish or if I should get anymore. The BF really wants a yellow tang in the tank since I told him he can't have anything else... (He wanted an other banner fish and I said no). I don't think a tang is a great idea. Not to mention that I want a pair of clowns. I was thinking of giving the damsel away. Not sure how I could put it lightly to him. I think they are pretty but idk... What do you guys think? Live aquaria says 100 gallons... I'm working on getting more live rock in here... Your thoughts please...

I'm excited for you :) Let me know how the ATO setup, use is (don't have to post it here, you can email me if you want).

Re: stocking...I'd go middle of the road...don't do just one or two, but don't max it out. The clowns are always fun to watch. I have a good book at home that lists stocking suggestions (light, medium, high stocking) for tanks of various sizes...if you send me an email or a PM, I can take a look at it tonight for you.

Well, I thought I would be maxed out already with five. They are tiny fish... But I don't know if the bio load will be bad either. Asking for help I guess.

I have a good book at home that lists stocking suggestions (light, medium, high stocking) for tanks of various sizes...if you send me an email or a PM, I can take a look at it tonight for you.

I brought the book into work today. I'll crack it open at lunch and drop in some of the suggestions it makes for the stocking on a tank.

Hey thanks Dari! I appreciate it. I'm still not sure if I want to do a lemon tang, a yellow tang or what. All the minimum req differ on those 70/100 on live aquaria. Not sure if I want to subject my tank to anything with a thin slime coat.

For now this is what I have :

4x blue green chromis
1x blue damsel

Debating on keeping the damsel as it is very hard to catch and not to mention aggressive/territorial.

Here's what I want:
2x clowns (debating on having just one)

He wants: a yellow tang
(since I wouldn't let him get an other banner fish.)
Trying to convince him of getting a royal gamma instead,

Definitely get two clowns. They're just plain fun :)

Royal grammas are gorgeous. I'd go with that over a yellow tang.

Definitely get two clowns. They're just plain fun :)

Royal grammas are gorgeous. I'd go with that over a yellow tang.

It's when he's set on a fish... There's hardly convincing him! Guys!!! I have to give him a fish or else he cries about it. But he gets to act like he's a part of it. So I have to include him. Now, I just need to convince him. Lol

Back
Top Bottom