made the switch!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tarpon

Aquarium Advice Addict
I finally made the switch from gravel to sand in my 30 gallon tank. I love it! It was a lot of hard work though. I had to scoop out the gravel in handfuls and then rinse the sand in a bucket. Then I used the bottle method to deposit it at the bottom of the tank.
My fish are probably so stressed. But I love the way it looks and have always wanted sand in an aquarium....now I'm probably gonna convert my other one.

Probably going to add more plants when I get the money. And some more dw

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110720_163617.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110720_163617.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 221
Thanks!!!
I bought some pool filter sand from home depot. $4.50 for 50 pounds! And petsmart wanted 24 dollars for like 10-20 pounds lol. I really wanted some white sand but they didn't have any. Oh well

Yeah, "specialized"aquarium sand is ridiculously expensive and it's not usually anything different than regular sand

So how much sand did you end up using in this 30g?

And Petsmart/Petco do seem to charge quite a penny for sand + gravel :(

I bought a 50 pound bag for $4.50 but I only used about....10-20 pounds id say. My sand beds about an inch

When I first set my tank up I wanted sand but it is way expensive at pet stores so I just went with gravel. Too bad I didn't know regular sand was ok in aquariums

Yah I did the bottle thing where u put the sand in the bottle and turn it upside down at the bottom of the tank and the cloudy particles stay in the bottle. Plus I washed it verrrrrry good in the bucket

Yep. I think it looks much better now. Plus its easier to work with. When you put plants or decorations in all you do is push them straight down. And you can make little dunes and stuff

Just make sure you keep up with cleaning the sand floor because if not it will change color

Back
Top Bottom