Maintenance records

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brimac41

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am curious if anyone keeps records as I do . Back when I had multiple set-ups I kept detailed records for each tank . Water changes , water parameter test readings , species type in each tank , health of fish , I noted when I seen something odd in the behavior of fish , spots , soars , torn fins etc: etc; This way I could keep up with each tank and not forget anything . Though I am down to one tank , I still keep up with this habit . My wife says I am entirely too anal when it comes to my aquarium , but I tell her I am just keeping up and looking out for the health and welfare of my fish/live plants .

When friends come to me about helping them to set up an aquarium , I tell them to do this also so when they come to me with questions I will have all the details so I can give them a better answer for their inquiries . And if I do not have the answer right off the top of my head and I can consult one of my many books on aquariums and fish biology .

I dont see anything wrong with that, I do the same. I find it very helpful with disease. I can look at a fish and and if I had the same symptoms before I can flip through my notebook and find how I treated before and if it was successful or not.

When friends come to me about helping them to set up an aquarium , I tell them to do this also so when they come to me with questions I will have all the details so I can give them a better answer for their inquiries . And if I do not have the answer right off the top of my head and I can consult one of my many books on aquariums and fish biology .

I have not gotten back into the habit of regular testing (hard with a toddler!), but I wish I could (I keep up with regular water changes, etc. But the testing is so time consuming and cannot safely be done with a kid around).

That said, my tanks are still a lot of work, and I think it's important to mention all the work that goes into keeping a healthy tank. I would imagine most lay-people think it's just "buy tank, buy fish, and feed" not knowing about the rest, so it's important to get that info out there when we can. I'm sure there are many unused tanks out there and a lot of dead hobby fish because of the lack of knowledge. It's too bad, it doesn't have to be this way!

Back
Top Bottom