Male and Female Bettas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maillis

Aquarium Advice Activist
I know that putting male bettas with other bettas (male or female) is usually not recommended but has anyone had any luck keeping a male and female together in the same tank without them trying to kill each other? I've got a single female in a 3 gallon eclipse and was wondering if there is any way I could put a male in with her? Maybe planting the center so they can hide on their own side would be ok?

i have a male and a female living happily in a 55 gallon, but i really don't think i'd try it in a 3. they can get pretty aggressive in their passion, and IMO she really needs space to avoid if she wants to.

It really is up to the individual fish. Often the female will attack the male and due to his finage and slow movements, he ends up the worst off, even when he defends himself. I would not put them together.

Thanks for the input folks. I think I'm going to try it but if it doesn't work out I have a 20 gallon or a 55 gallon that I can move the female to where she should be fine.

I had a male/famale pair and they were okay for a couple days. They spawned, and then she tore the male up! He survived, but looks like a piece of shredded ribbon now. Needless to say, I couldn't save the eggs because the water was all bloody and so I didn't get baby bettas. :( I'd only put them together while you're watching.

I really would not suggest putting the two together in only a 3 gallon. There is not enough room for either the male or female to get away from eachother, and even if you did provide some hiding spots, at least one of the two fish would be way too stressed out which leads to all sorts of things like disease and even death.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom