Mama Molly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have a pregnant Dalmatian Molly and a pregnant Cream Molly... I was wondering, can anyone give me an idea of about how long it will be until they give birth? I have plenty of lush live plants in my tank along with LOTS of large and small rocks... I put a nylon over the filter so no fry could get swept up in it... Now I'm just waiting... And waiting... Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Attachments

• image-3616274685.jpg
    image-3616274685.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 70
They are sticking together, up and down the side of the tank. There were two fry at one point but they disappeared. I'm guessing that they got eaten. There's plenty of live plants and large rocks with tiny hiding spots for the fry. Any help would really be appreciated. I just would like to know what to look for when they get ready to have their fry.

I did put a piece of a new stocking over the bottom of the filter so the fry won't get sucked up into it.

And I have a black Molly that's now hanging out in the bottom corner of the tank... All fat and trading water... I know I made plenty of hiding spots with various sized rocks, full, live plants and decorations and took precautions so that the fry wouldn't get sucked up into the filter. It's been a couple of years since I have had a fish tank and when I did have the other ones I always had tons of fry. And I didn't take nearly as many precautions then as I am now.

image-146142906.jpg

And I have a black Molly that's now hanging out in the bottom corner of the tank... All fat and trading water... I know I made plenty of hiding spots with various sized rocks, full, live plants and decorations and took precautions so that the fry wouldn't get sucked up into the filter. It's been a couple of years since I have had a fish tank and when I did have the other ones I always had tons of fry. And I didn't take nearly as many precautions then as I am now.
:welcome:Hi Patricia and welcome to AA.
I'm afraid all you can do is wait. I know it's not what you want to hear. They all look pretty big. The signs I look out for is;
Hanging around the bottom and/or the heater.
Her belly starting to square off.
Not eating, or taking some food and spiting it out.
Her anal passage staring to bulge, stick out.
Personally I always use traps. It's a personal preference, some people don't like traps. You have plenty of hiding spots for the fry, so plenty should survive. Another thing I noticed with mine, I have been pretty lucky, that my big guppy mamma usually gives birth during the day. I feed her as she's giving birth, the fry swim right in front of her face and she never eats them. I think it's due to the fact that they usually don't eat for a day or two before the birth and when they do give birth, they are so hungry, that they eat the fry. I could be completely wrong with my theory, but it works for me!!!.
PS... I don't want to alarm you, it could just be the picture, but does the black molly have white spots on her body????

Ian, hi, and THANKS for answering my questions... First, no the black Molly doesn't have white spots. It's just the picture. That one plant that I bought is SUPER bushy so there will be plenty of places for the fry to swim to there and there are ALL sizes if rocks from tiny to LARGE so they should be able to hideout there as well. I don't recall all this waiting with my first tank that I had a few years back. I had pregnant mollies and they started multiplying like crazy. There were little eyes everywhere. I guess I'm just being impatient. I can't help it though. I did have some awesome perfect egg shaped rocks out here and I even added a few other gems from my personal collection. This waiting is driving me crazy.
Can you be a little more specific as to what I am looking for when her anal passage starts to bulge? I'd really appreciate it.

Well, how do I put it, her anal passage will start to point outwards, like an arrow. You will see tiny red hairs sticking out from the passage and it will almost pulsate. Her passage will become swollen, I guess this is like her having contractions!!. I know I probably sound insane, I'm not really!!!. I doubt you would notice this, when they are free swimming but I ALWAYS notice it in the traps because obviously you get a good close-up look of them. You should notice the passage getting pointy or bulging though. This is not very scientific and probably not what a lot of people look for or notice, but it works for me. I notice this JUST before they give birth, as in minutes before. If you do notice this yourself, please post this thread, so others don't think I've lost the plot!!!

**Apology's if 'passage' is not the correct scientific name for what i'm referring to!!!!!!

Ian, again, thanks... I'm laying here watching my tank... Just hoping to catch a glimpse of some fry. Here's the strange thing though... A couple of days ago, I noticed 1 or 2 fry... But DEFINITELY 1... And then they were gone. But no more. I wish there was an exact science to this. But I guess I'm going to have to TRY and be patient. Thanks.

My mama still hasn't given birth and I've had her for 3 weeks...she is starting to square off but I can't see a dark spot. Did she abort?

I don't think she aborted... Mine took a while, even gave off two fry and then waited about 2 weeks to have the rest. Keep a close eye on her. Look for her hiding out in one spot. Actually, Ian, what do you think? He's who I turn to for advice.

I don't think she aborted... Mine took a while, even gave off two fry and then waited about 2 weeks to have the rest. Keep a close eye on her. Look for her hiding out in one spot. Actually, Ian, what do you think? He's who I turn to for advice.
Yeah they can hold off from giving birth if they are stressed or if the water conditions are not ideal. Try raising the heat a degree or two and/or a large water change, this can trigger them....
Future, any chance of a picture???

Yes I will post a pic when I get home from Easter dinner. My ammonia is under control but my nitrates are a little high. I did a 50% water change and nothing. Should I do another one?

IAN helppp... My cream Molly, the other pregnant one, was found laying on the bottom of my big tank. Her fins look almost like they were nipped at. I moved her to my small tank by herself... I took a few pictures. Here's one, let me know of you can see anything wrong with her from the picture or if I need to take a better one... Thanks.

image-3960794395.jpg

IAN helppp... My cream Molly, the other pregnant one, was found laying on the bottom of my big tank. Her fins look almost like they were nipped at. I moved her to my small tank by herself... I took a few pictures. Here's one, let me know of you can see anything wrong with her from the picture or if I need to take a better one... Thanks.

View attachment 163941
Can you test the water??

Yes I will post a pic when I get home from Easter dinner. My ammonia is under control but my nitrates are a little high. I did a 50% water change and nothing. Should I do another one?
I would test your tap water. It could be the main source of your Nitrate issue. I have very high Nitrates in my tap water. I'm planning on planting some Water Sprite very soon. Apparently this plant is great at soaking up Nitrates and it's very easy to keep. Low light, grows like weeds, no Co2 or ferts required...

I have no clue how to take care of aquarium plants. Never done it. The nitrates in the tap was a little high. We are on well water. Should I start doing watcher changes with distiller water?

Back
Top Bottom