Mbuna tank stocking questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sliderfish

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am looking to stock my mbuna tank soon and am planning on getting multiple species. I would like to keep a male of 4 or so species along with 2 or more females of each. I am making sure they have different patterns and shape but this leaves me at a problem. I want to keep two types of Zebra, but I want to keep hybridization to a minimum. Is this a reasonable question? Can I reduce the problem by only getting one color Zebra? Also if I do a mixed species tank should I go to the lengths to make sure I keep a ratio of male and females or a tank of only one sex? The species I am considering are:

Pseudotropheus crabro
Metriaclima callainos
Pseudotropheus demasoni
Labidochromis caeruleus
Metriaclima estherae
Melanochromis auratus
Melanochromis chipokae
Pseudotropheus sp. "Elongatus Chewere"
Pseudotropheus socolofi "Albino"

This isn't my final list as I will be removing many and adding some if I can find suitable, I'm kind of rushed right now lol

Would any of these pose more of a problem, not only with interbreeding but living with each other in general?

Thanks

Derek

what size tank are you planning on here? Youre looking at 27 fish if you go one male to 2 females, which is best... Youre going to need a big tank, i dont even plan on stocking that heavy in my 150g.

Im not looking to stock all the species on the list. They are the ones I am looking at. As I stated I'd like to have around 4 of them. The tank is a 55 gal.

oh ok... pick your favorite 4 species and get 1m 2fm of each... or pick three species and do 1m 3fm for each... shouldnt have any issues with 12 in a 55g

What is the best way to sex a young Melanochromis Auratus since both males and females have female coloration as youngsters?

I have two pair of Auratus and they're very curious fish. The two I have are shockingly fast in the water. They male does chase the female around a bit... they're very colorful.

I have two pair of Auratus and they're very curious fish. The two I have are shockingly fast in the water. They male does chase the female around a bit... they're very colorful.

everybody warned me not to get auratus in my 150g, they said they were super aggressive and would probably kill some of my other fish. its kind of funny that it is pretty much the opposite. my only remaining auratus is the wimp of the crew. my male kenyi rules my tank. just curious, but have any of your auratus "faded"? the one i have went from a very beautiful deep yellow and black to a faded almost white and grey...

Hi all! The young males of this species look like the females during the early stages. However when the males mature they turn a very dark black color and then grayish as what you described mfdrookie516. I had the similar experience back then and searched information and found out that it's just the causes of aging. The lines that run the length of the body turn a beige/yellow/white color. The fins are black or clear and the dorsal fin has a beautiful yellow glow.

When in breeding condition, the males would also sport bright yellow/white egg spots on their anal fin so you would eventually know.

Here's a comparison of male and female. I do hope you find a difference with their looks. I can be a bit difficult to identify.

Melanochromis auratus

Back
Top Bottom