Mid size pleco

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

josh7

Aquarium Advice Addict
Can someone give me a list of plecos that grow 6 to 12 inches and can you use common names please.

Gold nugget, royal, galaxy, vampire. Just a few of the lfs common guys I see. Dwarf clown pleco is around 4inch. Not that I'm promoting them, but aquascapeonline.com has a good list I like to reference from. Again, not promoting them at all, just for educational reasons.

josh7 said:
Can someone give me a list of plecos that grow 6 to 12 inches and can you use common names please.

On the smaller end, look into bristle nosed plecos. Very cute and will earn their keep in a day, or overnight.

These will be put into a Oscar tank so was looking for one a little bigger what is a gold nuggets average size.

My gold nugget is about 7-8 inchs, however, they wont fare well with an Oscar. They can be temperamental and stress easy if the Oscar gets nippy. They require driftwood, not only for hiding, but also as a food source. They do best in soft water as well. It took me 3 weeks to get mine to eat as my parameters were not "perfect". Not to mention they get pricy. I paid 45 for mine at 3inch's from a breeder.

What type of mid size pleco would you reccomend with a Oscar.

Bristlenose should be fine IMO. They can top out around 5" or so depending on exact strain of Ancistrus sp. you purchase. Mine is pretty awesome at eating algae and just generally cleaning up.

josh7 said:
What type of mid size pleco would you reccomend with a Oscar.

Have you considered getting a 6 inch high fin, then selling him back to the local lfs when he gets to a foot. Get another 6 inch and possibly make some money on top for food/supply/ect.?

I don't know I don't like to sell fish back because I really feel bad giving him back after I grow attached to them could I ever keep a hifin pleco long term though in a 75 with a stock list of

1 Oscar
4 silver dollars
1 hifin pleco.

josh7 said:
I don't know I don't like to sell fish back because I really feel bad giving him back after I grow attached to them could I ever keep a hifin pleco long term though in a 75 with a stock list of

1 Oscar
4 silver dollars
1 hifin pleco.

I would say yes, however you may have a few people who disagree. I like Highfins because they are practically armored and can withstand an oscars attitude ;).

I was thinking it's fine to a lot of people disagree I will do 50 percent weekly water changes and I will be running a emperor 400 and a aquaclear 70 so I think I should be fine.

josh7 said:
I was thinking it's fine to a lot of people disagree I will do 50 percent weekly water changes and I will be running a emperor 400 and a aquaclear 70 so I think I should be fine.

Just make sure you keep up with them and I'd say your set. They are awesome fish! I supplement my plecos with cucumber slices weighed down weekly. And thank you for not throwing a Tom of oscars in your tank, it's sad every time we hear of two oscars in a 50 gallon suffering from HITH. Good luck!

Oh I know i wouldn't try it in anything less than a 125 but I think I will be fine thanks for the help.

Back
Top Bottom