Might as well dive in

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sucker_dad

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Okay, so we had a couple of aquariums when I was little and I thought it would be great for my kids. Apparently, its a little more than I remember from being a little kid and my parents setting up a tank. So I have basically done everything wrong to start. I have a 10 gallon tank and my first mistake was washing it out with Dawn. After I killed 2 batches of fish(I'm a bit stubborn) I decided to do a little research. I hadn't started with a filter either as I had goldfish when I was young that did not have them. I now have a tank with a 3rd batch of fish. 1 male Betta and 1 female and 6 common Goldfish. i haven't put gravel in yet but I plan to. i did use a product called start right for the beneficial bacteria and a water conditioner for de-chlorinating the water. I checked the ph and it seems to be in a decent range, 8.1. i am open to advice from anyone at this point as /i want this to be something my kids enjoy working on with me. my plan is to add gravel and eventually live plants.

Welcome!

Time to start planning a pond for the Goldfish. That large number of GF will need a huge tank but really a pond.

This is said in love for fish and new fish keepers.

In my signature is a link for new fish keepers packed FULL of info and connecting related articles with even more info.

It's not just you, it was easier when I was a kid too, lol.

Check this out - even more so for common GF. If you can return the GF, it would make your life and fish keeping much more simple.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...uire-big-tanks-visual-perspective-265871.html

If you decide to keep the GF, then this is the section you will need often
Freshwater & Brackish - Coldwater, Native Fish & Ponds - Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community

Glad you decided to dive in and join the community!

Yes my brother has a large koi pond. When they get too big for mine I will donate to him. He has a heater for the winter and all they will be happy fish.

Your Betta's are very smart fish and will love plants and decorations to explore. They can be hand fed too. There are videos on YouTube to train them to do other things too.

29g fresh with Betta, Kuhli's, Neons, Denison Barbs, ADF, Mystery and Nerite Snails.

Some plants: Anubias, Java Fern, mosses and other misc.

8g Biorb with Betta and plants.

10g Mystery Snail Nursery

5g Plant grow tank with Pink Ramshorn Snails

Thanks for the welcome folks. I'll continue my story and advice seeking in the getting started area.

My wife always tells me i am a sucker because I give in a little more than she does. I am a 47 yr old father of an 8 yr old girl and 5 yr old twin boys. They are my reason for being here and i want them to know every day that I love them more than life itself.

My wife always tells me i am a sucker because I give in a little more than she does. I am a 47 yr old father of an 8 yr old girl and 5 yr old twin boys. They are my reason for being here and i want them to know every day that I love them more than life itself.

Yeah, my 4 are grown up and have 1 growing baby grandson. I understand. My GS likes fish already!

You can add your new "getting started" thread link here too btw.

Back
Top Bottom