mini cycle: how long?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

George9

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just discovered today that IM going through a mini cycle. Ammo was .50 and nitrite was only slightly darker than 0. That was before 2 50%water changes. How long do mini cycles take? I don't want to loose any more fish!

There's no accurate way to estimate. Just keep testing and doing the changes as necessary. It shouldn't take too long. Usually a week or two of increased water changes will settle things. The important thing is to try to identify the cause of the mini-cycle. Dead fish or snail hidden somewhere? Overfeeding possibly? Skip a PWC?

HN1 said:
There's no accurate way to estimate. Just keep testing and doing the changes as necessary. It shouldn't take too long. Usually a week or two of increased water changes will settle things. The important thing is to try to identify the cause of the mini-cycle. Dead fish or snail hidden somewhere? Overfeeding possibly? Skip a PWC?

I took out a little media for another tank. I didn't think a small amount would screw everything up.

I can't do water changes as often as I'd like to in this situation because IM also dealing with a ich outbreak and the meds I have to start won't be as effective with daily changes. I can't do the hear method because I have an eel. The meds IM using are natural and have no chemicals that WIll kill bb either

I agree, its usually a few days or more, but there are a ton of variables so it's hard to say. As HN1 said, finding the root should be the first move.

Is this the same tank that has been losing tetras?

jetajockey said:
I agree, its usually a few days or more, but there are a ton of variables so it's hard to say. As HN1 said, finding the root should be the first move.

Is this the same tank that has been losing tetras?

Yeah it is the same tank. That was probably what happened. But I tested yesterday and ammo was zero, unless I was fooling myself or read it wrong.

Ammo was very close to zero this morning. :) onnce this mini cycle is over, when I add more fish wont I go into another mini cycle? I'd have to add very slowly

Ammo was very close to zero this morning. :) onnce this mini cycle is over, when I add more fish wont I go into another mini cycle? I'd have to add very slowly

That is always a good idea unless you know what to expect and can deal with the mini well enough to avoid damage to the fish.

That is always a good idea unless you know what to expect and can deal with the mini well enough to avoid damage to the fish.
Okay, and just to clarify, I'll know when its over when i wake up one morning and ammonia and nitrites are both 0?

I wouldn't call it "good" until you have stable zeros for a few days.

Back
Top Bottom