missing an eye

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ghettorigged

Aquarium Advice Regular
ok, I bought an otto and they gave me two because one was missing an eye and they said "just take him because no one will buy him." I took him and he is living happily among the other fish. I have to be careful when cleaning because he can't see me coming from the one side. He seems to be fine but I was just wondering if he poses a health concern to my tank? :?:

Also, please let me apologize. I posted an illness related issue in the main Freshwater Forum because I wasn't paying attention. :oops:

No Worries,

About the Otto, thats a good question, i'm not sure what to tell you there if it seems heathy and there is no others picking at his eye he should be fine, if there is discharge then you may be looking at some problems.
Are you treating the Water?

Chris.

I've had one eyed fish before, remeber one cory in particular. He had no real problems. As in your case, I got him that way he lived a pretty normal life. Have also caught several gamefish over the yaers with only one eye, dosen't seem to bother them.

If it just looks scarred over, or as cmac said, no discharge, or exposed flesh, he should be fine.

I wouldn't treat unless it looks like a fresh or unhealed wound.

the otto seems fine and it's just an empty socket as far as I can tell. No discharge has ever come from it and no one bothers him. If things change, I'll be back for more help.

thanks again.

i had a tiger barb with one eye and it was healthy...and then died about 3 months after losing one of the eyes...keep your water in good condition so it doesnt get an infection...if it looks like there is an open wound inside the eye socket you might want to treat it to heal it...but if its eating and swimming around then it should do just fine...i guess it depends on how it lost the eye

I found my one-eye otto pal dead when I did a water change this morning. Not sure what did him in, but he is gone. :(

Never kept ottos, but do hear they are sensitive little guys. Sorry about your bud. :cry:

Back
Top Bottom