Missing Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VioletEmber

Aquarium Advice Freak
I had a horrible day at work yesterday and came home to zone out in front of my tank and did my daily "fish census". My female Betta was GONE! Not hiding, I poked around all the hiding spots- she was nowhere. My only thought then was that she somehow jumped out of the tank which I have heard Bettas do but I've never seen it. So I steel myself to find her on the floor or stuck behind the tank. Nothing. Not a drop of water anywhere ... My only thought is she jumped and one of my cats ate her in one bite- I even started looking in places where if I were a cat I would take my new dinner to eat- nothing. I haven't found anything- no gruesome fish parts anywhere.

So there isn't much to say except I was devastated. She was beautiful, a white and purple iridescent lady, big and healthy, perfect fins, fun personality- she would always come up to the glass and wiggle at me. We had a thing, you know?

I am so sad.

Sorry about your friend :(

Maybe you should get a top so fish can't jump anymore.

I'm very sorry for your loss.

Bettas are known jumpers. I cannot imagine having a tank without a lid for that species.

They can also hide really well. You don't have anywhere in the tank where she could be?

She was hiding!!! Now I have figure out why... Sickness, or if someone is bothering her... Argh, I feel stupid. Where was she? I looked everywhere! Then I just went in to do a PWC and there she is. Looking droopy, but there.

Same thing happened with my fiances betta ... Frank. I came home and panic set in when I couldn't find him... I knew she'd be crushed. I looked behind the tank, under it, in the filter, even in the next room in case he was so inclined to crawl into another room and die using some ungodly fish resolve. After a while he came out from the plants he was hiding in.

Glad you fish is safe.

That's fantastic you found her! Or she found you. I've had a couple fish disappear from a Fluval edge, which still confounds me. The only thing I can think of is that there might have been a hole in the mesh I put over my hose to syphon the water and I sucked them out. Still sad about that.

I agree with bettababe about the stress that can come form living in a bowl. I would suggest keeping her in the tank until you figure out whats wrong. If its something like ich, then the whole tank hsould be treated anyway IMO. But, thats just a matter of opinion. Personally, I leave my fish in the dt until I am sure about what is wrong with them. But, thats just how I do things.
I am really glad you found her! Any idea whats wrong with her? Does he look any better now?

Ok, she is looking better but I am still concerned. I am new to the test kit so I am not sure I've got all the techniques down- but I tested the water before and after a 40% water change and it looked like my nitrites were high. :(

It has also gotten cold here at night and I wonder if the temp was too chilly for her. So I brought up the heat a bit. And added a little aquarium salt.

I am definitely leaving her in the tank, I don't have another tank with a heater that I feel safe transferring her too... The one I could has a male Betta in it-- and I'm assuming she's in a "not tonight honey I have a headache" mood.

As for Bettas in bowls... There are Bettas that are alive and there are Bettas that are happy. Now that I've seen a happy Betta I'll never go back... Well, not that I started out with a bowl anyway- this whole MTS I have all started because someone gave me a Betta in a bowl and now I have two 10g and a 20g.

I'll keep an eye on her and let y'all know how she fares.

Bates1990 said:
The reason I say that is because when have you ever seen a Betta in a warm filtered tank? I've always seen them in plastic bowls

I've had several bettas in five to ten gallon tanks with a filter and heater set at about 80*. Bettas can survive because of their labyrinth organ, and that makes most people think they're just fine, when the truth of the matter is they aren't.

Ok, she is looking better but I am still concerned. I am new to the test kit so I am not sure I've got all the techniques down- but I tested the water before and after a 40% water change and it looked like my nitrites were high. :(

It has also gotten cold here at night and I wonder if the temp was too chilly for her. So I brought up the heat a bit. And added a little aquarium salt.

I am definitely leaving her in the tank, I don't have another tank with a heater that I feel safe transferring her too... The one I could has a male Betta in it-- and I'm assuming she's in a "not tonight honey I have a headache" mood.

As for Bettas in bowls... There are Bettas that are alive and there are Bettas that are happy. Now that I've seen a happy Betta I'll never go back... Well, not that I started out with a bowl anyway- this whole MTS I have all started because someone gave me a Betta in a bowl and now I have two 10g and a 20g.

What was the exact reading for nitrate? What other fish are in the tank? A water change was a good idea. What temperature is your tank? Keep an eye on her, I hope she's ok. Glad you found her. :D

*Edit: OOps I re-read the reply: nitrIte or nitrAte? Is the tank cycled? If so you shouldn't be seeing nitrite. Did you do anything different to the tank recently (add fish, change filters, etc)?

Last edited:
VioletEmber said:

Okay. Sorry that we sort of stole your thread. Can you tell what the nitrite reading is exactly, or an estimate?

As for goldfish! Oy... I am babysitting the pre-school goldfish Princess for the winter break. They sent her home with me in a tiny bowl. I dug around and found an old 1.5 tank I keep around for water changes and put it in there. The bowl must have been less than half a gallon -- and she still looks so cramped it makes my stomach hurt to look at her! I think the tank they have her in at the school is only 3g maybe? I'm going to have to have a chat with them in January.

Bates1990 said:
The reason I say that is because when have you ever seen a Betta in a warm filtered tank? I've always seen them in plastic bowls

Everyone will agree goldfish have different needs to tropicals. Heating, food and tank stock. They shouldn't be classified in the same category. They cant/shouldnt be kept in the same tank. Just because you have seen them in tiny bowls with no heating and filtration doesn't mean they should be kept that way.

Op keep us posted!

VioletEmber said:
As for goldfish! Oy... I am babysitting the pre-school goldfish Princess for the winter break. They sent her home with me in a tiny bowl. I dug around and found an old 1.5 tank I keep around for water changes and put it in there. The bowl must have been less than half a gallon -- and she still looks so cramped it makes my stomach hurt to look at her! I think the tank they have her in at the school is only 3g maybe? I'm going to have to have a chat with them in January.

Please do! Poor thing. She will need a 20gal tank just for her.

Idk if you use liguid test kits or dip kits but the API liquid kit is the best one that I've found and it's a lot more accurate if that'll help

Um.. It was green grey? Lol.. 0.1 before the water change, 0 or 0.05 after. It is all artificial plants so I bet I hadn't done a good enough job of vacuuming the gravel? The tank is cycled - 20g with 5 glowlight tetras, a little Cory. 4 danios that I'm going to bring to the LFS and another female Betta.

Sigh, days like this make me question my resolve for this "hobby"!

Back
Top Bottom