Missing Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bates1990 said:
Idk if you use liguid test kits or dip kits but the API liquid kit is the best one that I've found and it's a lot more accurate if that'll help

+1
the API is by far the best if you don't already have it. It's very accurate and is pretty simple and quick.

As for the test kit, it is from my neighbor and now I'm wondering if it is expired? I don't see a expiry date on it- how long do they last?

VioletEmber said:
Um.. It was green grey? Lol.. 0.1 before the water change, 0 or 0.05 after. It is all artificial plants so I bet I hadn't done a good enough job of vacuuming the gravel? The tank is cycled - 20g with 5 glowlight tetras, a little Cory. 4 danios that I'm going to bring to the LFS and another female Betta.

Sigh, days like this make me question my resolve for this "hobby"!

There are two female bettas? One might be picking on the one that was hiding. Generally if there are only two, one becomes the bully and the other the victim. Normally you want at least three.

Gotcha on the three vs two females. I was wondering about that. And Pearl has always been a gentle soul... I'm going to ponder my rearranging options...

Yes I agree my friend read that it was ok to put females together and they started fighting after a couple of days nipping at the fins and the one that was most dominant messed the males fins all up it was almost like she didn't want her eggs squeezed out

Beautiful Bettas you have. You should check out the Betta videos on YouTube there's a slideshow on there that is amazing type in bettas the video is called Best of aqua bids final cut. Your gonna love it

Those are some gorgeous bettas. I would maybe get a five gallon if you can afford it/have room for it to put either Pearl of Saphy in. I've never actually kept female bettas together because I don't have a big enough tank for it. So my expertise rundown a bit thin here. ;)

As for the test kit, it is from my neighbor and now I'm wondering if it is expired? I don't see a expiry date on it- how long do they last?

For API kits, Pond Care Wide Range pH, ammonia, High Range pH, Nitrate, phosphate, Copper, calcium and GH all last for three years. Nitrite and KH will last for four years. Freshwater pH (low range) and Pond Care Salt Level will last for five years.

The date you see on the item is the date it was manufactured.

image-1457039404.jpg

Pearl is now out of hiding! I had a third female Betta in QT for observation and within minutes of putting her back in Pearl perked up. After a day or so, peace reigns in the tank again. Definitely the problem was having only two in there, amazing how that works.

Thanks for all the support everyone! I felt like such a dork for posting that she was gone only to find het again, but I learned some things in the process, so it's all good. :)

She's a beautiful healthy looking Betta I'm glad she Is doing better and you found her lol but it happens I don't see half of my fish for days at a time they just like to hide but it sounds like yours was lonely

Awesome. I have heard that betta sororities do better with more females because it sort of spreads out potnetial aggression and moodiness. :)

I hope your right cause we found out the hard way that two girls one guy is a bad idea we lost a female :( it was sad

Oh I did not know that would make a difference now I know I guess the more females together the better they get along

Yep, it does make a difference. It is not recommended to keep males and females together long term. And yes, females can get along together if there are enough of them. Often all-girl tanks don't work in the long fun, but that depends on the individual fish. :)

I have definitely noticed it depends on the fish- when I was first researching Bettas after being handed one, people would say "Bettas have individual personalities!" and I was like "yeah right, it's a fish!". But they were right! My first male was a super softie and got along with everyone, even female Bettas. Then one of my females killed everything near her. (Trixie was quite a learning curve!)

I have also read that some people believe the different colors or breeds are more or less aggressive, but I haven't been able to prove that one yet!

Wow, I have never heard that about ther colors before. I should look into that. I totally agree about them being individuals. There is a lot of difference in temperamnet from 1 fish to another. I try to keep my betta advice pretty general, because there is ALWAYS somebody out there with a betta that breaks the rules of how betta "should be."

Back
Top Bottom