Mixing Clowns

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tater

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I know mixing clowns can be dangerous and to use caution when doing it, but I have a dilema..

Ever since I began saltwater I always wanted a pair of black and white perculas. But, every time I saw them they were too expensive. I was searching online the other night and came across a site that has them for a reasonable price. They are tank bred.

I have a 50 gal, more of a box-like than a long type, with a pair of tank bred true perculas. They were tiny when I bought them and are now close to medium size. Also in the tank is a yellow-headed sleeper gobie and a lawnmower blenny.

My question is with both pairs being tank bred and not too big, would they be ok in the same tank? Should I just buy one or buy and pair of black and white perculas to go with the other group? I don't know if it would be better to have just one black and white compared to the already paired perculas. I read that you can mix clowns better when they are tank bred compared to wild..

Any help is appreciated.

I would think that with a cube tank, it would be more difficult. Do you have alot of rock?

I think you may be pushing your luck with two pairs in that small/style of a tank, yet I do think a pair would be better than a single clown introduced as it will divide the aggression.

it will be a crap shoot for sure...best of luck to you!

Hara said:
I would think that with a cube tank, it would be more difficult. Do you have alot of rock?

I think you may be pushing your luck with two pairs in that small/style of a tank, yet I do think a pair would be better than a single clown introduced as it will divide the aggression.

it will be a crap shoot for sure...best of luck to you!

Thanks for the quick reply..

Theres 50 lbs of live rock in the tank.

May work, but expect the worst. If you tank was longer I would say that you would be OK.
Good luck, let us know how it works out. :wink:

http://www.saltwaterfish.com/site_1...ategory=4&category_search=61&root_parent_id=4

SaltwaterFish.com says these can be mixed with other clowns. I keep hearing different opinions on if you should or should not mix.. I am seriously wanting to get a pair, but I just don't want any fighting or problems introducing them into the tank with the other two perculas.

If I get these, how many should I get to lessen the threat of fighting/ganging up?

Back
Top Bottom