Mixing different kinds of salt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

abrahamavelar

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello this is a pretty dumb question but i rather be safe than sorry, previewsly i bought instant ocean salt mix from my lfs and i almost ran out so i went to the lfs and got some more, but this time when i got there i saw that they didnt have the same kind it is instant ocean still so my question is can i add the rest of my salt to the new bucket or not? And if i do will i have bad consequences? Or it doesnt really matter?

It should be fine. Just mix it together. All salt mixes are basicly the same. Some more or less of some elements.

I personally would not unless you enjoy experimentation or the salt comes from the same manufacturer. There are plenty of reports from other aquarists of excessive algae blooms and stress reactions from animals if switching salt brands too quickly let alone mixing them.

I personally would not unless you enjoy experimentation or the salt comes from the same manufacturer. There are plenty of reports from other aquarists of excessive algae blooms and stress reactions from animals if switching salt brands too quickly let alone mixing them.

they are both made by instant ocean, when my computer finish wit the updates ill post some pics

I agree with James. You really dont want to keep changing salts. If you want to change to find a good one than so be it but dont keep changing because of price and other reasons.

im happy with the one that i have i went to 3 of them and didnt find it anymoro on the bucket size not even petco or petsmart. also the one on the left is the one im currently using and the one on the left is the one i bought recently, i still have enough for one more pwc that im going to do tomorrow

Looks to be the same salt, different/newer packaging?....You should be fine if that's the case.

That's just new packaging. Instant Ocean is Instant Ocean.

However... just to confuse things more... they did change the formulation between the old and new packaging. They tweaked things a bit, but you don't really have a choice to go with the old stuff.

No, you should be fine. All salt brands eventually change their formulations from time to time depending on cost vs. production of mineral contents, location availabilities, etc. Eventually you get used to it ;)

oh ok thanks yeah i was kind of worried because some ppl at 3 different lfs told me i shouldnt change and if i was to change i should change to crystals for my reef

Back
Top Bottom