Mixing Saltwater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

danj

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have been using instant ocean salt for making my saltwater, but had a problem with nitrates. So i went to the LFS and got some real ocean water. Is it ok to mix this up like this? I cannot use my tap water just yet as i checked the nitrates and they are at about 40 out of my well. And my DI unit is down. No fish in tank just inverts. And they all seem to be ok.
Ammonia 0
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 40 but going down.
PH 8.3

So long as pH and temperature matches...all should be just fine. You can put a denitrate filtering media in your filter to help absorb excess nitrates in the system. Prime or Aqua Plus water conditioners will help protect the fish.

http://tricitytropicals.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=806

This would be a good investment...not just for your fish, but for yourself and family as well :)

The only thing you have to worry about is parasites in the ocean water. I`ve read where you have to let it sit in dark for a while to kill them. But the word I`ve Heard is dont use it. But I`ve never used it myself. I`d do some research if I was you first.

We use to use ocean water, but it was obtained through a marine research facility that filters ocean water. If you live in Southern California, Scripps is a place you can get ocean water for free. You just have to get there and haul it. That's the only reason why we stopped. The trips there and back just became a pain.

I do not think the nitrate problem was with the salt. It is with my well water. The ground i live on use to be a farm. And you know that farmers fertilize. So we end up with more nitrates in our water.
Anyway until i get my DI unit back up and running i just went and got some real ocean saltwater. Because i really would like to get the nitrates down. I am using a nitrate sponge in the filter also. I was just wanting to make sure that mixing salt mix and real ocean saltwater would not cause a great problem.
As soon as i get my filter working again i will go back to instant ocean salt mix.

I live at Orange Beach Alabama an just go over to the beach an get water from the gulf. Never had a problem with the water, fish have never been better.

Back
Top Bottom