Molly breeding?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lindsey

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Just set up our first tank and the female Molly won't stop chasing the male around. Are they breeding? Male is orange and female is white with black specks (sorry, don't know the exact names).

it is usually the other way around, the male chasing the female around. also, it is recommended that you should keep the the ratio to 3F to 1M. so the male would not harass the female. is she round?

it is usually the other way around, the male chasing the female around. also, it is recommended that you should keep the the ratio to 3F to 1M. so the male would not harass the female. is she round?

Haha. Well, I thought the same thing - that the male would've been the aggressor. There are 3 females and one male in the tank, but the other females are platy's. No, she doesn't appear round at all.

Haha. Well, I thought the same thing - that the male would've been the aggressor. There are 3 females and one male in the tank, but the other females are platy's. No, she doesn't appear round at all.

it been awhile since i breed platy, but i assume that they are the same as guppies. they are both livebearer, so i think they are similar. I am asking if she is round is because the rounder she the sooner she will give birth. FYI, since platy are livebearer, be prepare to have fries every 28-30 days.

These are the Molly's that are doing this.

I have read thT platy and molly cannot breed. Because of coming from different family's
Platy can breed with sword tail.
And occasion. Guppy can breed with Molly.
Because of the same family genetics.

But I never heard of this? My females run in terror from my males from time to time lol.

Two Molly's can't breed? Huh?

i think wat vienolac is talking about is that molly and platy cannot cross breed. if i were you, and want to breed livebearer, i would stick to one to type of breed either guppies, platy, molly, swordtail. since you have molly, i would stick to molly. hope this help.

No, that didn't help. Believe everyone needs to read my original post. I was never talking about crossbreeding. It's ok. Never mind.

No, that didn't help. Believe everyone needs to read my original post. I was never talking about crossbreeding. It's ok. Never mind.

Haha no I got what you meant :) umm if theres a male and female I'm the tank chances are she's pregnant :)

if you want the molly to breed, it quite simply. just nature take its course and eventually your molly will be pregnant because male livebear are usually looking for "action" if you know what i am saying.

No, don't want pregnant Molly's and this was never the topic. Thanks.

Your sounding a bit frustrated :)
I think that others were just trying to pass on a bit of helpful off topic advice. A female chasing a male doesn't necessarily mean that they are breeding. She could be being territorial, shoving him around to get more food (Mollies tend to be gluttons) or maybe she's got a headache tonight and doesn't feel like breeding so she's chasing him off. Females can be a bit testy for no reason at times. Whatever the case may be, if she isn't causing any harm or stress to him I really wouldn't worry (not that I'm saying that you are)

Back
Top Bottom