Molly fry born today.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pistolero

Aquarium Advice Activist
Got a couple Dalmatian Mollies a few weeks back for the main tank. Female was pregnant when we got them. Couple days ago it was obvious she was about to pop so I moved her to our 10 gallon that has Cardinal tetras in it.

This afternoon she started acting anxious and I was keeping an eye on her. Around 2 - 2:30 this afternoon I looked in and there were 3 babies on the sand at the bottom. Over the next couple hours she spit out a bunch of babies. She took a little break after birthing about 50 or so fry, So I took her out and put her in a clear rubbermaid container for a while. 10 minutes later I look in on her and there were 3 more babies. Over the next half hour - 45 mins I got 16 babies total out of there after she was moved. I just watched and sucked them out with a large turkey baster and moved them to the tank with the others.

As far as we can tell (and we kept a very close eye on it) there were only two eggs, no stillborns, and mom did not try to eat any fry. She is already back in the main tank swimming and eating like it was no big deal at all. Crazy, she had such a huge belly for her size.

Check out the pic, it doesn't really show the sheer numbers though. There are a LOT in the plants and along the bottom.

Attachments

• 10.10.2011FRY 003.JPG
    10.10.2011FRY 003.JPG
    135.3 KB · Views: 81
Wow that's awesome, they are adorable! Congrats! That's a lot of babies, she must be exhausted lol. What are you going to do with them?

Yes, there has to be 60 to 75 at least.
What to do with them? Goldfish food? Not. We will be giving away a lot of mollies I guess.

Got a couple Dalmatian Mollies a few weeks back for the main tank. Female was pregnant when we got them. Couple days ago it was obvious she was about to pop so I moved her to our 10 gallon that has Cardinal tetras in it.

This afternoon she started acting anxious and I was keeping an eye on her. Around 2 - 2:30 this afternoon I looked in and there were 3 babies on the sand at the bottom. Over the next couple hours she spit out a bunch of babies. She took a little break after birthing about 50 or so fry, So I took her out and put her in a clear rubbermaid container for a while. 10 minutes later I look in on her and there were 3 more babies. Over the next half hour - 45 mins I got 16 babies total out of there after she was moved. I just watched and sucked them out with a large turkey baster and moved them to the tank with the others.

As far as we can tell (and we kept a very close eye on it) there were only two eggs, no stillborns, and mom did not try to eat any fry. She is already back in the main tank swimming and eating like it was no big deal at all. Crazy, she had such a huge belly for her size.

Check out the pic, it doesn't really show the sheer numbers though. There are a LOT in the plants and along the bottom.

Congrats! How exciting! I can't wait until I can get Mollies!

That's really cool. My molly looks like she is pregnant and I'm a little worried that the other fish will eat them since I don't have another tank to put her in to have them. The tank she lives in is really heavily planted though, so maybe a few will survive. lol

Back
Top Bottom