Molly Paralysis

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DocOc

Aquarium Advice Regular
1~What type of fish is afflicted? In addition, please describe what is wrong with the fish to the best of your ability.
My mollies are, one-by-one, experiencing a progressive paralysis that eventually kills them by starvation or suffocation.

2~What are your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp, pH)? Please give exact values.
pH=6.5, Temp=79°F, Nitrates<0.05ppm, Ammonia<0.25ppm

3~ How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up?
~29gal Hex. 6 months

4~What type of filtration are you using?
Aquaclear 70
5~How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are their current sizes?
Too many: 40. Two Corys, a large pleco, 5 small tetra, two clown loaches, and the rest are platys and mollys

6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time?
I change 20-30% of my water every one or two weeks.

7~How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them?
These were some of the first fish in the tank.

8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.?
Nope.
9~What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently?
Nope

Does the side of the fish turn white? Slowly creeping all over and starving the fish of movement? If so, could be a Columnaris infection. In that case, I'd treat with an antibiotic such as Maracyn-Two. Without treating it will continue to infect you fish.

HTH

Ah, yes, I forgot to say what my treatment methods have been. Marycyn-two was one of them. Also, Mara-safe for an internal paracite. It seems that popeye has gone together with this problem for a couple of them.
I don't see any outward changes, color or otherwise. It is really weird.

Besides columnaris, I don't know of any other disease or otherwise that causes paralysis. I suppose it's possible that you could have gotten a resistant strain of it, but even that isn't likely. You could try treating with a bout of Maracyn and Maracyn-Two together and see if that blasts it out.

Otherwise, I don't know either. Wish I could help you.

Back
Top Bottom