Molly's ready to move out??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HOLLIEO

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have some baby mollys that a friend is gonna take (well, some of them) when they are ready to go. So, how do I know when they are ready to go to a new home?

they're very hardy after about a month, but still rather small.

depending on your friend's fish, that may or may not be a problem.

remember to separate the males and females, giving him/her all of one gender or another - don't want any inbreeding!

LOL .. ha, ha
Yeah, true.
Well, my firend that I am giving some of the mollys to has 1 small goldfish in a 10 gallon eclipse system. he keeps the water warm, so the mollies will be okay. The molly babies are about 26 days old. Should I wait a little longer?

i'd wait until you're sure the mollies are big enough not to fit in the goldfishes mouth!

although, mollies make more mollies every 4-5 weeks, so if the the goldfish gets a snack, you can try try again :)

On the in-breeding issue...
Since I have like 13 baby molly fishies in my tank. If they reproduce (once old enough... does anyone have any idea when that would be??) are they going to be sick? or something wrong with them???
when is in-breeding, too much in-breeding... if ya' know what i mean?!?!?! :D

You might want to tell that friend that she's gonna max out her bioload on a 10gallon pretty quickly when that goldfish starts to grow (Esp if she's adding more fish!)

HOLLIEO, you really shouldnt really worry bout in-breeding fish arent people ...... up to 5 generations of brothers and sisters breeding(gross) :? will not hurt them but if you r really worried about it you can throw in a fish from your lfs but unless you plan on breeding them for money dont worry bout it

Its wrong and cruel to even let a inbred fish be born, because inbreeding carries with it the risk of genetic mutation as well as phsyical malformations that can seriously affect the health of the fish.

Aside from all the negative press associated with the word. aquarists may not know the benefits of selective inbreeding, I went through some genetics books to gat a working definition of the term. They define inbreeding as the mating of related individuals. The different genes at a common locus on a chromosome are called alleles. If a fish has two identical aIleles it is a homozygote. Related fish share alleles through one or more common ancestors. I suppose you could get homozygous fish from unrelated fish, but inbreeding greatly increases the chance of this happening. In and of itself inbreeding is neither good or bad. It can be abused and it can certainly be used constructively.

Most of us are aware that domesticated swords and platies were produced by hybridization. In these breeding schemes hybridization is almost always followed by inbreeding. In the second step the hybrids are often bred brother to sister or back to one of the parents. The only exception to this is when the hybrids are sterile. For instance, the only way to get mules is to mate horses with donkeys.

As hobbyists we can make use of a type of inbreeding called Linabreeding. I use this technique whenever I come across an outstanding male swordtail. First, bread this male to a virgin female to be assured he is the father of the resulting fry. Than bread this male back to his descendants - in other words back to his daughters and grand-daughters. This is done because the animal you’ve chosen is so outstanding you want his descendants to resemble him closely. This is how you create a strain of outstanding males as opposed to random mating where a good fish pops up every now and then. Every time you breed your best male back to his descendants you are increasing his contribution to the gene pool. Livestock and fish hatchery managers often go this route.

Our goal should be to produce show quality strains. not just show quality individuals.. Someday I would like to sec a show where entrants are required to bring in a dozen of their best fish. A species maintenance approach to domesticated livebearers would tie in nicaly with this goal.

taken from the web site http://home.clara.net/xenotoca/benefits.htm

Very nice blue! Good research :)

And yeah, many of our fish were the result of selective inbreeding. Look at the different types of angelfish; you'll never see any of those patterns in the wild, but thanx to selective inbreeding I have some of the prettiest healthiest pigs living in my tank *grin*

"inbreeding" is also how you get different breeds of dogs, cats, horses...they're all the same critter, but have vastly different phenotypes because of selective breeding.

Of course in some cases, it can lead to problems...there is a genetic illness in Quarter Horses that is the result of one stud passing on that gene, and it becoming amplified through the breeding processes...

yeah! great post blue_neon.. Kudos to you!!
Now I don't feel that bad keeping the fry together. :wink:
The mom was a beautiful irredecent white and all the fry (except for one... it is a brownish color 8O ) look just like her. She died shortly after birthing all these babies :cry: Sad, but I am glad she had some off spring .

sweetsuvvyb said:
"inbreeding" is also how you get different breeds of dogs, cats, horses...they're all the same critter, but have vastly different phenotypes because of selective breeding.

and every Pedigree species of dog has something that, because of the inbreeding over so many generations, afflicts them.

Like Golden Retrievers [ I think ] have chronic hip problems, and pug nosed dogs always have respritory issues, ect ect.

The only dogs you don't see with the chronic illnessess is mutts, Sicne their a mixture of two genetics. Because no matter how you look at it, any pedigree you breed even today is inbred, since they had to inbred so many to begin with to actually get the species..

Back
Top Bottom