Moral question about fish keeping?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Camogirl28

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have these two fish in my tank, they have gotten too big for my tank. They are increasing my bioload and harassing my tank. Most people would relocate, but there is no one around to give them to, I want to get rid of them ( toilet) but I would feel really bad

That would be cruel.

Put an ad on Craigslist or talk to your LFS.

If no one will take them and you still want to put them down, get some clove oil from the local health food store. Add 20 drops to a jar of tank water and shake it up. Add this to a gallon of water and put the fish in. Cover them. Within 30 minutes or so, they will be dead.

Next time you purchase fish, please pay attention to their requirements. It's your responsibility as a pet owner.

Not trying to condemn you or make you feel bad. Just sayin when you buy a living creature, you have to provide for it.

Sorry you're having this problem.

I'm sure someone here would take them!

YOu could always try selling and shipping. If you are going to kill them though, the toilet is NOT humane. It can take fish a very long and painful time to die that way. Here is an article on how to humanly put your fish down if you are going that route. I find killing any creature sad, but if you are going to do it, do it painlessly.

If you had a dog that was destroying the house and none of your friends wanted it, would you put it in a sack and throw it in the river? Because that's pretty much the same thing. There are options. Fish store and Craigslist are options. Posting here in the classifieds is an option. Using social media to reach friends of friends of friends is an option. Once you've exhausted everything you can think of, you consider humane euthanasia. But flushing isn't humane.

Craigslist, classifieds on this site and other fish forums, local pet stores...good options. In the mean time you could take these fish out and keep them in a holding tank or rubbermaid bucket and change half the water everday. Worst comes to worst and you cant get rid of them then look into the euthanasia. I have never done it because I dont have the guts...but I always thought smashing them would do it the fastest. Put it in a bag of some sort, and drop a flat heavy object on it to guarantee termination.

I hope euthanasia is the last resort and there are ways of putting the fish down, I won't go into it here, you can do a research on the net on that topic.
Again that is last resort, almost any LFS will take your fish especially if they are healthy. In my area you would get credit.
I personally like to grow certain fish and I know eventually the day will come when I'd have to rehome them, Craigslist has always been a good place.

Craigslist, classifieds on this site and other fish forums, local pet stores...good options. In the mean time you could take these fish out and keep them in a holding tank or rubbermaid bucket and change half the water everday. Worst comes to worst and you cant get rid of them then look into the euthanasia. I have never done it because I dont have the guts...but I always thought smashing them would do it the fastest. Put it in a bag of some sort, and drop a flat heavy object on it to guarantee termination.

Not a very nice way to euthanize a fish!

How about ice or iced water?

Please don't flush those poor fish. They haven't done anything wrong other than grow big and healthy like they're supposed to. What kind are they? SOMEBODY has to be willing to take them.

Nice and euthanize usually don't go in the same sentence, lol.

Back to the topic, the free section of Craig's list will make most anything disappear. If you do kill them, and I say kill, because euthanasia is normally a mercy killing, I would use ethanol. Denatured alcohol is cheap and available, works quick like a bullet to the head.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Nice and euthanize usually don't go in the same sentence, lol.

Back to the topic, the free section of Craig's list will make most anything disappear. If you do kill them, and I say kill, because euthanasia is normally a mercy killing, I would use ethanol. Denatured alcohol is cheap and available, works quick like a bullet to the head.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Research shows that alcohol actually burns the gills and causes pain. Clove oil is supposed to be painless and puts the fish to sleep.

After putting the fish to sleep, they suggest severing the head, because fish put to sleep with clove oil have been known to wake up.

:bawl::cry: I am really struggling with this thread. :( These fish aren't sick. They haven't done anything wrong other than grow big. They shouldn't be flushed down the toilet, stuck in a fridge, or put to sleep with clove oil, smashed with a book or burned with alcohol. They deserve to live! Please, PLEASE find them another home. There has to be one home. Where are you, statewise? Maybe I know somebody.

That is actually one of the best ways. Blunt force trauma or cutting head off ect that severs spinal cord. Ice and ice water is cruel and involves suffering. Please don't be one of the misinformed people that put it in water and stick it in the freezer, or put it in a bowl of ice water. Clove oil is the best if you can't just cut the head off.

Even on Craig's list how do you know that the buyer is able to handle them? You don't and likely the fish will suffer the same fate just not by your hands. Again as the fish have not been ID by the op so we dont know but let's face facts the LFS industry is in the business to make money. My point is that the industry is willing to purposely sell you inappropriate species. Tinfoil barb anyone? In cases like that you can try to contact local aquariums who might be willing to help. I think a lot of well-meaning fish keepers find themselves in the situation. Hey today is Sunday. How many families will unexpectedly end up at the local pet store today where Dad will make an impulse buy of the 5 gallon starter kit while his 2.5 kids and happy wife look on with excitement and approval? Is it the families fault? Yes but but the LFS industry shares most of the blame with their starter packages and misinformation/blatant lies.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Why would you even purchase fish that would outgrow your tank if you didn't plan on upgrading?

I bought a synodotis euruptus knowing he would need a bigger tank once my 29 gal became too small.

He's now in a 50 gal while I'm searching for a 100 gal tank for him to stretch his fins out.

Poor fish keeping and now the fish are paying the price

Things happen, we all make mistakes, no need to bash the poster. Bad advice from store workers, impluse buys, misidentification, things happen.

Back
Top Bottom