More wattage?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

How much light should I add?

• 0- Leave well enough alone (2.6WPG)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 9w - (3.5WPG)

• 18W - (4.4WPG)

• Total voters

BlazerFRS

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've recently come across two 9w CF fixtures, and I'm debating weather I should add 1, 2 or none of them over my 10g.

Right now I have 2X13W CF over my tank and am experiencing decent growth of most plants... I can't seem to make any foreground plant grow (dwarf chain swords browned slowly, dwarf sag is living but not growing or spreading) and I am still fighting off a bout of BBA.

Will adding more light make algae less likely b/c plants can better outcompete for nutrients, or make algae more likely b/c it has more light for work with?

I'm imagining it's not that simple; i.e. it may be easier to prevent w/ good dosing and WC's and all that; but If I allow levels to become unbalanced I'll have more trouble w/ algae.... if that makes sense.

I'm already running DIY CO2 (maintaining above 30ppm)

I guess what I'm asking is how much of a dificulty bump will upping the WPG create?
Any other thoughts, cautions, anecdotes about this?
TIA for you opinions

If you are getting too much algae problems, you need to get your nutrients in sync before adding more light. What are your nitrate and phosphate levels? Should be a 10:1 ratio.

Yes, my nutrients are much better; I'm running about 1ppm PO4 and 10ppm NO3... considering bumping to 1.5:15.
I also need to get my hands on some traces... I have leaf zone, but the iron in it makes me nervous, as does the uncertenty in what I'm adding. I'll prolly pick up some plantex sometime.

I believe the bba is entering remission at this point.

I'm with LWB - resolve your algae issues before adding more light. But then, throw it all on :D The wpg factor breaks down a bit in small tanks and you can go pretty high before it becomes a problem. Just the opposite holds true for larger 75G+ tanks. You don't really need as much light in wpg to achieve the same effects.

Agree completely, fwiw. Just anecdotes/thoughts/experiences/etc about your questions. Increasing light lowers the margin of error, which is good if you like steep learning curves, but you are already learning quickly, and with AA's help will probably progress while limiting algae. Now that you have CO2 right, you'll find greater benefit and more leeway as your learn nutrient dosing. You have fantastic plants that will reward you with color, and the stem plants won't mind you messing with trimming and such.

As Travis said, once you get these needs (CO2 and nutrients) down, giving plants more light is easy. You just do everything more often or in bigger amounts. In this way, I do find high light easier, because it is easy to assume uptake. Then it's rewarding to steepen the learning curve again with harder plants.

If you're getting a deal, I think you should buy the 18w CF and hold on to it. I think you will need all 18ws for high light, and I think you will be able to effectively use it soon. HTH

Thanks a bundle for the advice so far- As long as the algae keeps backing down I'll be good to go...

Luckilly all I need to buy is the bulbs, b/c I stripped a CF fixture I found in the dorm garbage room here. It'll be fun trying to cram 18w more under my hood, but I think it can be done :).

Back
Top Bottom