Most peaceful fish for 10 gallon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hmm what about German Blue ram? They are the most peaceful cichlids ever. They school very well and appear in loads colourful varieties including and not limited to electric blue, green, golden etc. They put up with extremely well with lets say kuhli loaches, thailand glass catfish and due to their peacful nature many, many others (I speak through my experience).
They do not grow big. And easily you could keep like 5 in 10 gals. They are quite a companions too so they can be fed from a hand as well and always react when you enter the room.
The drawbacks? Well they can get highly protective regarding their eggs and fry but not overprotective.
I find them also a natural control for the snails infestation.

With my best wishes
Tomasz

P.S.
Quite sensitive to the poor water conditions e.g. bacterial or fungal infections.

P.P.S.
One can keep them with neon tetras as well ;>

P.P.P.S.
Preferrable pH below 7 - so down pH (phosphates) would be beneficial if you want to breed them - but it is not a must

I'm not even comfortable keeping large cories like ablinos or emeralds in my 29 gallon. They are very active fish. A group of several 3"+ catfish just doesn't have room to be their normal crazy selves in a 10 gal tank. I think corydoras hasbrosus or another dwarf under an inch is OK in a 10 gal. In 20-29 gals I'd keep julii or even panda. The bigger ones in a 40+. JMO

Well, no cardinals in a 10g sure shoots my stocking plan right in the keester. :onfire::rocket:

Would a combination of sparking gouramis and dwarf pencilfish work instead? The tank would also have small shrimp in it, which I know would be OK for the pencilfish, but not sure about the gouramis.

Hmm what about German Blue ram? They are the most peaceful cichlids ever. They school very well and appear in loads colourful varieties including and not limited to electric blue, green, golden etc. They put up with extremely well with lets say kuhli loaches, thailand glass catfish and due to their peacful nature many, many others (I speak through my experience).
They do not grow big. And easily you could keep like 5 in 10 gals. They are quite a companions too so they can be fed from a hand as well and always react when you enter the room.
The drawbacks? Well they can get highly protective regarding their eggs and fry but not overprotective.
I find them also a natural control for the snails infestation.

With my best wishes
Tomasz

P.S.
Quite sensitive to the poor water conditions e.g. bacterial or fungal infections.

P.P.S.
One can keep them with neon tetras as well ;>

P.P.P.S.
Preferrable pH below 7 - so down pH (phosphates) would be beneficial if you want to breed them - but it is not a must

Uh I think you can keep 2 rams max in a 20 gallon....

Well, no cardinals in a 10g sure shoots my stocking plan right in the keester. :onfire::rocket:

Would a combination of sparking gouramis and dwarf pencilfish work instead? The tank would also have small shrimp in it, which I know would be OK for the pencilfish, but not sure about the gouramis.

I think that sounds great

I would not suggest rams for a 10 gallon. The footprint is on the small side IMO... although, some folks keep them successfully in a 10.

Dimensions for a 10gal = [FONT=Arial, Verdana, sans-serif]24 x 9 x 13

Dimensions for a 20gal tall=
[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Verdana, sans-serif]24 x 13 x 17

Its about 4 inches wider. Height has nothing to do with its footprint. As for the "magic schooling number"
[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Verdana, sans-serif](and I use the phrase lightly) [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Verdana, sans-serif] for cardinals the widely accepted number for them is 6, so not off by much. Not that they will actually be schooling unless you intentionally introduce an aggressive fish, which I doubt OP intends to with the topic of this thread.
[/FONT]

Dimensions for a standard 10 gallon are 20"x10"x10".

Even though this is a bit late and you are still looking for a fish (just one, maybe two) I would suggest a dwarf puffer if you can find one. They get about 1.5" max and are cute, intelligent, and personable. There needs to be a 5 gal per puffer so two is the max, so I would suggest just getting one. Wish you the best of luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, one dwarf puffer is fine, two is pushing it.
If you are still looking for suggestions, I'm going to say betta, even though you've probably heard this already. They're good and easy to keep.

Back
Top Bottom