Mouth fungus :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Obsessedfishlover

Aquarium Advice Freak
My black skirt tetra has a beige mouth that I believe is mouth fungus... If you could post pics of any type of mouth fungus that would be great I need help I don't know if its getting worse and if its mouth fungus will it eat away so it doesn't have any mouth left??

Hi yes it will eat away it needs to be treated with an antibiotic or a bacterial treatment from lfs not that pricey

Go to lfs and buy medication today. Research on a site like drs foster and smith and choose the medication based on the description and call around to find a store that has it so you can treat your fish tonight.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your options for treatment depend on what country you are located within. Many countries require veterinary prescriptions in order to purchase antibiotics. We can make further suggestions dependant upon where you reside (we dont need specifics, just a country). Thanks!

Your options for treatment depend on what country you are located within. Many countries require veterinary prescriptions in order to purchase antibiotics. We can make further suggestions dependant upon where you reside (we dont need specifics, just a country). Thanks!

United States is it really bad that I need to treat it tonight? Will it die if I don't?

Ill post a decent article below for you to read. Start by gradually reducing the temp into the low 70's. If all of your fish are salt tolerant, you can increase the salinity. You will need to treat with a gram negative antibiotic. Kanamycin is suggested but not many lfs carry it. You can call around to see if anyone has Kanaplex (Seachem). If not, you can try Maracyn2 or Furan2 (both available in chain stores).

http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/Columnaris.html

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom