Moving away for uni, leaving 55g tank behind

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nyan

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Moving away for uni, leaving 55g tank behind. Advice?

I’m leaving for Uni in about two weeks, and moving 500km away from home. I will be leaving behind my 55 gallon tank, which has been cleaned out of most fish. I have 1 male swordtail, 2 female swordtails, 1 female betta and 1 Chinese Algae Eater. Oh, and about 12 sword tail fry.

I’ll probably only be able to get home every two or three months from University, and during those times I’ll clean the tanks. My family will be feeding my fish, but none of them are confident enough, or willing, to clean my tank for me. And I’m not sure how my tank is going to manage, so I was wondering if anyone has any experience with leaving tanks for long periods of time?

Do I still have too many fish? Should I get more algae eating fish, shrimps or something of that description to help keep the tank and plants maintained while I’m away? If I add anything else, I want something that will clean the tank with as little waste product as possible.

I think you should just get rid of the remaining fish either through giving them to pet stores or anyone willing to take them. Break down the tank and set it up again when you're able to. My freshman year of college I told myself I'd visit home at least once a month...within the first two months I changed that to every two months, then three, then six, then my next year I didn't go home at all. You'll be busy, things will come up, and you won't want to go home and maintain a tank that has been left untouched for months on end and most likely your fish won't survive that.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom