MP10 worth it? And how many?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
crister13 said:
Did it come yet?

Got it! It's in... Now I'm trying to figure out the best placement and mode to keep it on. Some of my corals have closed up but the fish seem to like. I only have it on like the 5th light, it's on the purple setting I forget the name. I'm gonna go online to there website to read up more. Right now it's left side almost dead center. I may move it up a little closer to water line.

I did notice on the detritus setting which follows the setting I have it on, I guess it's the second part of the setting it's currently on, anyway it kicked up ALOT of debris.

Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.

Video soon! I switched it to reef crest mode, seems to be pretty popular mode with the nano and cubes. I also kept 1 koralia in the right rear I was worried about a dead spot. You think that 1 MP10 is plenty for the cube?

Convict2161 said:
Video soon! I switched it to reef crest mode, seems to be pretty popular mode with the nano and cubes. I also kept 1 koralia in the right rear I was worried about a dead spot. You think that 1 MP10 is plenty for the cube?

Yes, i have one in my 29g standard and sps, plenty of flow. You dont even have it ramped up. Turn it full blast and you will probably have to glue things down lol. Also my two favorite modes are reef crest and lagoon modes. For placement you should have it blowing toward the most open part of the tank.

Schism said:
Yes, i have one in my 29g standard and sps, plenty of flow. You dont even have it ramped up. Turn it full blast and you will probably have to glue things down lol. Also my two favorite modes are reef crest and lagoon modes. For placement you should have it blowing toward the most open part of the tank.

Hmmmm.... Most open part. That would be pretty much all the way up front (left side)

image-1568445674.jpg

Ok so still on reef crest mode and I moved it up front as close as I could. Now it's hitting the other side glass. Seems to be better then before. I think it was hitting a lot of my rock work before. Now I see a lot more debris floating around then before also. I'll have to keep an eye on it.

image-357649417.jpg

image-446845358.jpg

image-3907180896.jpg

This is the current setup. This way it flows across the front hits the glass and bounces around. Hopefully this will workout. Any further towards the center it will just hit the rock work or corals head on. When I had it more in the center I think my ricordias starting writing me a death threat.

Last edited:
Yes you wanna have it pointed into open water towards the othe side of glass, the direct flow is very powerful but as it radiates out it becomes gently yet strong creating the undertow which will move the entire water volume. I believe its also recommend to be 4-8 inches below the surface. The closer to the surface the more agitation obviously. But the minimum is 4 i believe.

Also the attachment to the glass is very important so you have proper alignment. To do this turn the pump mode to constant (green mode) and ramp it all the way up to max. Now adjust the outside more moving it bit by bit to align it so you get the least vibration possible. This will ensure quieter function and long part lifespan.

Hey thanks for all the help and tips! I'll do that now. So where I have it now might be my sweet spot since its pretty packed it there. Where it is now it has direct flow to the other side of the tank.

Thanks again for all your help!!

Convict2161 said:
Hey thanks for all the help and tips! I'll do that now. So where I have it now might be my sweet spot since its pretty packed it there. Where it is now it has direct flow to the other side of the tank.

Thanks again for all your help!!

Your welcome, enjoy that pump as much as your tank does lol. Hopefully your notice your tank staying cleaner also with the added flow.

And here's the video. Lemme know what you think about the flow and placement. Placement I really don't have a choice, it's the only open space to hit the other side.

Well... Not sure if this thread died off but I'm still posting an update lol.

After all day on lagoon mode I decided to try the short pulse mode. So far I think things in the tank seem happier. I have to hit 70% and it moves fairly quickly. It makes a nice surge in the tank, moving the whole body of water, some corals are a little more opened then last night, I'm hoping they just have to get use to it.

On another note. Laying in bed I can hear the short pulse. I hear the motor which I'm not really happy with. The tank was pretty much silent except sometimes for a little water trickle sound which was soothing.

Now I hear the humming every second, it's not over powering but you know it's there.

Like I said before the goo thing is the temp has dropped since the 2 power heads are out.

After all day on lagoon mode I decided to try the short pulse mode. So far I think things in the tank seem happier. I have to hit 70% and it moves fairly quickly. It makes a nice surge in the tank, moving the whole body of water, some corals are a little more opened then last night, I'm hoping they just have to get use to it.

On another note. Laying in bed I can hear the short pulse. I hear the motor which I'm not really happy with. The tank was pretty much silent except sometimes for a little water trickle sound which was soothing.

Now I hear the humming every second, it's not over powering but you know it's there.

Like I said before the goo thing is the temp has dropped since the 2 power heads are out.

Good job and nice updates:thanks:
If you have time, check out this guy's youtube channel, I learned a lot from him, www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3RYioaSFvI, his username called "newyorksteelo"

I bought two MP10wES from other forum member and waiting for the shipment.:dance:

cfcheong said:
Good job and nice updates:thanks:
If you have time, check out this guy's youtube channel, I learned a lot from him, www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3RYioaSFvI, his username called "newyorksteelo"

I bought two MP10wES from other forum member and waiting for the shipment.:dance:

Sounds like a good deal I hope lol. The link didn't work. Ya got me curious about the video.

Convict2161 said:

my mp10 also does that annoying noise when it's in pulse mode. I don't think anything can be done except to not have it on pulse mode lol.

First, your tank looks awesome! Second, I can't believe how much flow you get from one powerhead. That thing is awesome! Wish I had the money for one. I think the corals will get used to the flow. The fish seem to love it.

spoonman said:
First, your tank looks awesome! Second, I can't believe how much flow you get from one powerhead. That thing is awesome! Wish I had the money for one. I think the corals will get used to the flow. The fish seem to love it.

Thanks for the kind words my friend. It means a lot. I worked hard on it!!

Seems that the short pulse so far is the winning mode. I'll play around a little more but the corals and fish seem to like it better then reed crest or lagoon mode.

Back
Top Bottom