Multiple tanks on one sump/refugum

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

parsons328

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Quick question.

I am about to install a new 125g SW tank, I currently have a 55gal reef tank setup with a 55gal sump/refugum in another room. Wondering if it would be a good idea to connect both tanks to the sump (my return pump can more than handle it) Change the 55 to a predator-tank and have the 125g as a reef tank. Can anyone see any major reasons why this couldn't/shouldn't work??

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks for the link. And enjoy your turkey day. I could go for another one of them right now. Keep me posted on your progress.

Sorry man. I click on the link and get directed to a post about brackish water and canibal gold fish. ???

Tag(hit) 54 profile,then go to threads started.
You find this thread he mentioned.
I'm in if your pump can handle it.
Most chain stores run 'looped' systems.

systems doing that again huh I'll have to report that ,
well yesterday I spent most of the day reconstructing my sump so far I have the 90g hooked up to it, waiting on another overflow so I can add the second using cheap hose till I can find the right size
img_3311288_0_eadbb2f5191185ba26e8d37544a952da.jpg

img_3311288_1_8c6929c02d7acbabe8b265f4683fd06f.jpg

Let me know how you make out. I'm still waiting for my 125gal tank to show up. Been ordered sense September.

I have considered doing the same thing.
My concern/suggestion is to set it up in a manner that allows you to run each tank separately if needed. I was going to actually make a second smaller sump and then plumb them together in a manner that allows me to run each separately if needed.

Is the sump you have glass or acrylic?
if acrylic then plumbing in another sump/container will be easy, if it's glass, not so much.

I was going to have a tee off the return then two ball valve unions so I can control/shut off flow to either tank and have bal valve Union at the end of my supply lines to do the same from the over flow boxes.

I have considered doing the same thing.
My concern/suggestion is to set it up in a manner that allows you to run each tank separately if needed. I was going to actually make a second smaller sump and then plumb them together in a manner that allows me to run each separately if needed.

Is the sump you have glass or acrylic?
if acrylic then plumbing in another sump/container will be easy, if it's glass, not so much.

Depending on how much you need to do in the separate tank what we did was have a valve on the water return that can shut the tank off the system, run some sponge filters in the tank at all times so that you have the biological already there if there's no water running and aeration as well. Again, depending on how long you want to keep the tank off the system, this setup allows you time to add an outside filter or other mechanical filtration at a later date. So now, you have the security of having the tanks running if the water pump shuts down and aeration via the sump if the airpump shuts down. The main thing is to make sure your sump can handle the water volume for all the tanks and still hold enough water to not be sucking air into the water pump. ( You don't want to add more water to the sump if this happens so that if the electric goes out, the sump doesn't overflow. :eek: ) You want to start the whole system with a full sump then turn on the pump. Where that water level stops falling, THAT'S how much water total can be in the sump at all times when running. ( I use a marker to mark that level so I know to only add water, for evaporation, to that level. "No more or it will be on the floor." ( Little rhyme to remember :brows: )

Hope this helps. (y)

Back
Top Bottom