Murky tank! Need help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
oh well like i said i really have no experiance with shrimp only time i ever had any was when i got some as a treat for my tiger barbs a year ago

Well, I can post a thread to ask about it, and you didn't know, so don't worry about it ^^

Ok first off I'm sorry your having bad luck but it gets better you for sure need to do Pwc once a week poop doesn't go away and it will not just take care of its self you have to vacuum the gravel every week if you do this your tank will pretty much always look clean instead of merky and theres no need for chemicals unless there's a disease or parasite or something except for conditioner I recommend API conditioner with aloevera it helps repair fins and improves slime coat alls you need to do is put your old sponge into new filter and let it run you can buy refrigerated beneficial bacteria from you LFS ( local fish store) I personally hate petco they don't take care of there fish I only buy plants from them. But I'm sure there's another pet store around you somewhere lol I promise you if you do weekly Pwc and use conditioner and ( refrigerated bb just to get it started back up) you will have no problems with your tank and your fish will be happy and active again. Also make sure your tank is around 78 degrees. I personally have five tanks 2 ten gallons a 30g a 55g and a 100g so I hope my experience can help you and anyone else who has this problem :) have fun and good luck!!

Hi, sorry, is this a 10 gal tank, and what fish do you have? A Pleco really doesn't belong in a 10 gal tank; any plans to upgrade soon?

The cloudy water was probably from disturbing the substrate and not cleaning it regularly. Uneaten food and waste collect in the gravel which can cause poor water conditions so vacuuming the gravel regularly is a good idea.

Weekly water changes are a must particlarly since you are overly stocked for your tank.

A liquid test kit is something else you should have. It'll let you know what's going on in the tank (like, if rinsing the filters really did kill off the bb; the test it will show ammonia and/or nitrite if the tank is recycling) and will let you know when you need to do some extra water changes (if ammonia or/and nitrite are present). Also any time you see something wrong with a fish the first thing to do is a water test to make sure there aren't any toxins in the tank.

You might want to take a look at the guide below in my signature: setting up a fw aquarium. I know yours has been up for a while but it covers a lot of things like filters, cycling, etc that might be useful for you.

The pleco needs a bigger tank. The cory cat needs some buddies (at least 3 or 4). It's a schooling fish, but you'll need a bigger tank for them, too, unless they're very small cories.

Don't even think about buying shrimp until you get the rest of tank/filter/water parameters straightened out. They're all very sensitive to water conditions. Most of all: read, read, read! Double-check all the advice you hear or see with other sources. Just a little googling would have revealed how truly awful the petstore advice was, and that would have spared you--and your fish--a lot of stress.

I hope everything works out for you and your tank. Don't get discouraged! Just read, read, read.

Okay, dudes, I know I have too much in my tank. The best I can get for my pleco is a 15-25g. I'm aware that shrimp need fresh water and calcium. The white spongey thing dried out last night, will the bb still be alive? I was told that I can buy BB at the pet store, does that count petsmart/petco?

And is my pleco treatable with the medication I have???

he is under stress it looks like to me from all thats going on i couldnt see any parasites but i might be wrong wait on someone more experienced to say and as far as the bb i only ever had experiance with the non refridgerrated bb and it seemed to work for me as i had a really over stocked tank in my ten gallon (5 tiger barbs and a upsidedown cat and 3 corys) as i also listed to the dumb @sses at petsmart but not everyone gets this result and most ppl down on the non refridgerated kind and i know ill probably get crucified for even tellin you this but you could try the Tetra brand safestart (what i used in my ten gallon) or api stress zyme + (never any experiance with it but its api) and nutrafin cycle( again no experiance with it but its a good brand ) all of these are non refridger rated so RESULTS MAYY VERY it worked for me it may not for you only use as last resort try and find some refridgerated but if you cant all these can be found at petsmart and maybe even petco

I didn't get any bb, but I got a new filter! It's a different kind. The old white sponge dried out, can I still put it in the tank and release the bb already in it, or is it hopeless cuz it dried out?

alia258 said:
I didn't get any bb, but I got a new filter! It's a different kind. The old white sponge dried out, can I still put it in the tank and release the bb already in it, or is it hopeless cuz it dried out?

I'd say put it in, but I really have no clue. Wait for someone else to answer. Lol! I'm glad you got a new filter!! Hooray!

The trick to keeping BB alive is keeping it WET... never let it sit out... If an emergency like this, next time put in cup/container of tank water overnight till you get new filter...

i would have atleast tried to get some bottled bb even if it was the non refridgerated but since you didnt maybe you could get your mom to order you some of the really good stuff of line i for get the name but its like 7 bucks and it litterally instand cycles the tanks

Back
Top Bottom